Schools Rugby

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have my first appointment to a schools match this week.

Are there any different laws to the U19s variations and if so any handy links?

Any advice or experiences would also be appreciated, thanks.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The RFU Schools Union uses the same IRB/RFU Law variations U18 to U13 as used for youth rugby.

I believe there are issues at U12 levels where 15 a side contact laws are used for full matches at some private prep schools., instead of the normal U12 mini-midi continuum.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
make sure Headboy's batman makes you a nice cuppa and don't upset School Bully

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
The RFU Schools Union uses the same IRB/RFU Law variations U18 to U13 as used for youth rugby.

I believe there are issues at U12 levels where 15 a side contact laws are used for full matches at some private prep schools., instead of the normal U12 mini-midi continuum.

Not just private prep schools, this is also the norm for state secondary schools.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

State schools as well play 15-a-side U12 rugby
At u11 it's even worse -
- prep schools are often playing 15-a-sdie with contact
- Clubs are playing continuum
- state Primary schools are still playing tag.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
School 2nd XV so U18?

Yep., U18.

Standard U19 Laws with the addition that squeezeball is outlawed.

It's a good idea to confirm any rules about substitution with the teachers.

"Man Off" does not apply (to any youth games).

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
School 2nd XV so U18?

I always ref to the LOTG U19 variations.

This can cause consternation sometimes at school games if they have been taught, or have played to different laws at their school. The main one I come across most is that schools often play 30 mins each way. This may be to fit in with school timetables?

"You played a lot of injury time ref"
"I didn't play any"
"It was a long half then"
"35 minutes each way"
"But we only play 30"
"LOTG say 35, if you only wanted to play 30 someone should have asked me before kick off"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why don't you check that with the match organiser before the game then?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Our Referees will play RFU standard match times as per Game Regulations and Youth Variations, unless advised and agreed otherwise beforehand.

It is down to team manager / coaches / skippers to talk to the referee if they want something different, not the other way around.

Mine did last Sunday for my Colts match, so we played 2x20 min and 1x30 min, as it was a warm up / trial match

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It is down to team manager / coaches / skippers to talk to the referee if they want something different, not the other way around.

sure.

but to set your watch for 35mins, actually knowing (or strongly suspecting) that everybody else involved in the game thinks they are going to play 30 seems, well, a tad unhelpful.

I mean if you are caught by surprise, fair enough - they should have told you, but if it happens every week - why not just check with the coach what they are expecting?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
how would the ref know what the team normally play, unless it's the same ref every week?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have refereed Schools 1st XV and Colts/U17 matches for 10 seasons and never been asked to do 30 mins each half. In that time I have visited at least 30 Clubs and up to 20 schools / 6th form colleges.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I was just going on what Phil said..

Some schools do, some don't.

As Simon sez :)biggrin: ) it's up to them to tell me if they want a variation to the LOTG. Their monkey not mine.

GeorgeR

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I watched a match last season (U15) when my son was playing a school match when the ref blew up at 20 mins for the 1st half. We challenged him and he said "well we allways have 20 minute halves - -made worse when he blew up at 15 minutes in the 2nd half. We suspect he had an alterior motive as it was a rugby school and should have known better (not my son's school).

Allways double check in advance for timings, applicable laws etc. Daily Mail cup has specific regulations for drawn matches for instance.