Scores

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
For the second time this season, I have had a coach not tally the score correctly. In the first instance, the coach did not count an opposition penalty kick and ended up losing the game by 1 point when he thought they were up by two.

The second instance was a U-19 game. The touch judges were incompetent throughout the game (the norm in my neck of the woods). White clearly (from my position on the field) missed a conversion but the touch judge raised the flag. I did not blow my whistle to confirm a score. I did wave my arm sideways and stated "no good". White coach did not get the message. Black coach did.

On a side note, the black coach did not tally their score correctly (they had the correct number of tries and conversion, just did not add it up) and thought they lost by 2.

In both games, I told the players on the field the score when asked. In the first case the captain knew the correct score but the coach did not. In the second, black asked and was told the score (white could hear) but I do not remember white asking. Needless to say, I am not on the Christmas card mailing list for the coaches.

I have not heard a ref should announce the score after tally, but I'm not sure what else would help. And, no there are not scoreboards. Any suggestions?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Simply mark on your score card what score, what time.

If coach can't keep track it's his problem not yours - suggest he attend an adult numeracy course.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I used to keep a tally card when refereeing. On one side I kept the progressive score, on the other side I recorded PK's I awarded and what they were for.

I called out the score at every halfway restart as well as at half and full time.

Buzz

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I use 2 columns. On the left I mark 5 for try, 2 for conversion etc. and on right I keep the running total. Easy to refer to when asked.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I used to keep a tally card when refereeing. On one side I kept the progressive score, on the other side I recorded PK's I awarded and what they were for.

I called out the score at every halfway restart as well as at half and full time.
Prey tell, when did you get time to write down the penalty information?

if I did that team would be gone leaving me standing writing.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I use a scoresheet that I put together that doesn't require too much thought.
I clip it to my cards and then fill it in when I need to, it also has boxes around it.

Code:
Home Team				Away Team					Home Team Captain				
Tries	Cons	Pens	Drop	Tries	Cons	Pens	Drop		Away Team Captain				
5	2	3	3	5	2	3	3		Toss Won by			Going	
10	4	6	6	10	4	6	6		Cards				
15	6	9	9	15	6	9	9		Team	Number	Time	Y/R	
20	8	12	12	20	8	12	12						
25	10	15	15	25	10	15	15						
30	12	18	18	30	12	18	18						
35	14	21	21	35	14	21	21						
40	16	24	24	40	16	24	24						
45	18	27	27	45	18	27	27						
50	20	30	30	50	20	30	30						
55	22	33	33	55	22	33	33						
60	24	36	36	60	24	36	36

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Prey tell, when did you get time to write down the penalty information?

if I did that team would be gone leaving me standing writing.

I'd keep a mental record and catch up during down time, i.e. shots at goal, injury breaks, etc

Back of my card looked something like this;

Tallycard.jpg

I categorised all penalties into three types:

- Offsides
- Foul Play (anything in what is currently Law 10)
- Technical (e.g. not binding, crooked feed, hands in ruck etc)

The "Other" was for anything that happened that I might need to recall for assessment. I had a custom shorthand for this which I won't elaborate on here (because I cannot remember all of it)

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Interesting.....

Never even thought of doing that before, I normally just count to three, lol.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have had more than one level 5 ref tell me that they don't tally up the scores at all, just mark it down without keeping a runnning total. They don't want to know what the score is, so they can't be accused of being infuenced by the score in a close game.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The second instance was a U-19 game. The touch judges were incompetent throughout the game (the norm in my neck of the woods). White clearly (from my position on the field) missed a conversion but the touch judge raised the flag. I did not blow my whistle to confirm a score. I did wave my arm sideways and stated "no good". White coach did not get the message. Black coach did.
In this case, I think the best thing to do is to call the TJ's to a conference on the 22m line, agree that they disagree, then make your decision and either award or visibly don't award the conversion. This has two advantages; it makes it plain to the touchline what's going on; and it allows you to speak to the TJ you're overruling, thereby giving youself an opportunity to soften the blow.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have had more than one level 5 ref tell me that they don't tally up the scores at all, just mark it down without keeping a runnning total. They don't want to know what the score is, so they can't be accused of being infuenced by the score in a close game.

I'm sure that's fine at their level with scoreboards and stuff. But you'll like a right chump down at L10/11 when they ask what the scoe is and you have to say either "don't know" or "wait a minute and I'll add it up so far"

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
AFTER THE MATCH
6.A.11 SCORE
The referee communicates the score to the teams and to the match organiser.

In Aus (here anyway) most don't keep score at all, or control subs, all done by a ground manager......I'm still not comfortable with that so I always keep score. I would keep track of subs too, but I stay consistent.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
AFTER THE MATCH
6.A.11 SCORE
The referee communicates the score to the teams and to the match organiser.

The key words there are in caps.

Davet

Post Likes
Agree with Phil

Not your job to give them the numbers during the game.

If asked I would simply say eg "3 tries 2 conversion, 1 PK and 1 DG to you, 2 Tries 2 Conversions 3PK to them."

After the game I add up the numbers and tell the teams.

The logic is simple - if I am adding up as we go along, and due to the fun of the fair make a mistake then I don't want tell them that they are 26 to 23 in front when it's actually 25 to 23 - and when doing the sums in the rain and the wind, while running back to the middle it's easy to drop or gain a point or so.

I'll add up at my own pace and double check it.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
But wouldn't the teams want / need to know the score while the game is still on, as it would literally and directly affect their options as the game progresses? Eg If a team is behind by 4 points, they may decline a possible 3 point kick at goal and prefer to go for a possible 5 point try instead.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
But wouldn't the teams want to know the score while the game is still on, as it would literally and directly affect their options as the game progresses? Eg If a team is behind by 4 points, they may decline a possible 3 point kick at goal and prefer to go for a possible 5 point try instead.

They may well, but it's not the ref's job to tell them. Coaches and players can all see what scores have been indicated by the referee. Some of them can even add up :biggrin:

Davet

Post Likes
Eg If a team is behind by 4 points, they may decline a possible 3 point kick at goal and prefer to go for a possible 5 point try instead.

And later, when you say, actually you only lost by 2, sorry about that....

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I often get asked the score by spectators, coaches. I give my version but point out that the referee has the official score. Occasionally our scores differ at the end, and usually one of us has added up wrongly or missed counting a score.

If the referee was asked the score in a close game, I would suggest he takes time to check what he has recorded. After all he is the official score-keeper so players are entitled to rely on his information. I have seen occasions where there was a difference of opinion as to whether or not a conversion had been allowed.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yesterday I was asked by the home side Vets Captain how much longer there was to play and, seeing that the visiting touring side were beginning to flag after a weekend's heavy entertainment, I said that I hadn't decided yet.

Much amusement all round. :D

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
I keep a scorecard with 5 columns per team, T C P DG Sc (I'll let you guess what they stand for). I don't think keeping a cumulative score is that complicated, and if someone asks I tell them.

I have often used variants on Deeps' line, such as "less than 15 but the exact time will depend on how the next 5 minutes go"...:D