[7's/10's] Scrum Feeds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't usually watch Sevens, not my thing really, however, I saw quite a bit of the Wellington Sevens this weekend, and I noticed that the SH often throws the ball in on the opponents loose-head side. I know that the Law says "side first chosen" but this doesn't seem like a mistake because some of the SHs have been regular's in the 15s game and they wouldn't repeat the same mistake. It seems more like some kind of deliberate tactic.

Any Sevens regulars know why they do this?

Last edited:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
This changes the offside line for opposing scrumhalf, depending on strong side of play. It should create an equal # or less defenders, as the sh can no longer distance himself from scrum as usual to provide the 1st defender

It also allows sh an easier service to the left w/o opposing SH. that is SH doesn't have to use left hand to pass to left. Although this is only a minor advantage at this level

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This changes the offside line for opposing scrumhalf, depending on strong side of play. It should create an equal # or less defenders, as the sh can no longer distance himself from scrum as usual to provide the 1st defender

It also allows sh an easier service to the left w/o opposing SH. that is SH doesn't have to use left hand to pass to left. Although this is only a minor advantage at this level

This. SH will often feed on the blind or the short side to achieve these outcomes.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

I'm not understanding... Can you unpack this a little? Why does the offside line change (with respect to the feeding SH) with the side of the scrum feed? Why can't the defending SH not stand off the scrum?

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm not understanding... Can you unpack this a little? Why does the offside line change (with respect to the feeding SH) with the side of the scrum feed? Why can't the defending SH not stand off the scrum?

Because the SH will usually cheat off of the side of the scrum and be the first man in the drift defense since most teams play with a rover of some kind. This allows teams to defend the scrum with only 2 players in the back line should they want. The hooker usually covers blind anyways in sevens as they can get out of the scrum pretty quickly.

Also, this tactic transitioned teams from having their first receiver standing directly behind the scrum to receive a shovel pass of some kind from a SH under pressure/getting tackled to a system where they can line up their first receiver out wide to set a better attacking platform. This then essentially forces the defending SH to become the rover if they play a 6 up 1 back system.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So, if the SH feeds on the openside of a scrum close to the sideline, the opposing SH can follow him or defend within a metre of the scrum in line with the ball. However, if he feeds on the blindside, the opposing SH has to go around the back of his own scrum to defend on the openside, then his offside line is the HMF of his own scrummers, a couple of metres further back..

IIUC, this makes good tactical sense. The other thing that just occurred to me is that the SH feeding on the blind has all his backs and the opposing backs in his sight-line instead of at the back of him.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So, if the SH feeds on the openside of a scrum close to the sideline, the opposing SH can follow him or defend within a metre of the scrum in line with the ball. However, if he feeds on the blindside, the opposing SH has to go around the back of his own scrum to defend on the openside, then his offside line is the HMF of his own scrummers, a couple of metres further back..

IIUC, this makes good tactical sense. The other thing that just occurred to me is that the SH feeding on the blind has all his backs and the opposing backs in his sight-line instead of at the back of him.

exactly the same logic would apply in a 15-a-side game. In fact more so, as the back-foot offside line is so much further back. But we don't see scrum halves choosing blind-side put ins in the regualr game.

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
exactly the same logic would apply in a 15-a-side game. In fact more so, as the back-foot offside line is so much further back. But we don't see scrum halves choosing blind-side put ins in the regualr game.

Except that in the 15s game, there's substantially less tactical advantage of a 9 not being on the same side of a scrum. Most of the time, the player covering the first channel in the drift would be a 7 anyways. Also, the hook still plays a part (however minor) of winning the ball in 15s, whereas in sevens, the scrum is substantially higher allowing an easier hook from either side and there's usually very little contest to hook the ball from the opponents. Feed are also a bit of a mess and stability is non-existent. Getting a stable base in 15s allows the SH to scan the defensive line quickly to determine where to go with the ball and deliver quality ball to the back line. The lack of a back player (8 man) prevents the SH from being protected and forces them to play the ball extremely quickly as soon as it pops out of the scrum.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The biggest tactical advantage I can think of for having a tighht head put in, is a scrum in the oppo 22, left hand side... thus creating a non scrum half defended blind side. But you'd have to be sure of winning your own ball on that side putin.

TBH, with so much feeding obviously accepted at the elite end I'm amazed sides don;t try it.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The biggest tactical advantage I can think of for having a tighht head put in, is a scrum in the oppo 22, left hand side... thus creating a non scrum half defended blind side. But you'd have to be sure of winning your own ball on that side putin.

TBH, with so much feeding obviously accepted at the elite end I'm amazed sides don;t try it.

didds

it might be a clever thing to have up your sleeve even if you only do it once -- when you'd have an element of surprise as well.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thanks for the explanations.