Scrum half engagement seqence

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Coupled with the process, the IRB will instruct referees to ensure that the ball does not enter the tunnel unless the scrum is square and stationary and that a straight throw-in is strictly policed.

I can achieve that without having to give the SH the go-ahead

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ha ha the SH making their own nonsense up again.

Just fixing up yet another NH f@ckup! :biggrin:

You use "yes 9"...doesn't work so you have to change your mind.
You then try arse slapping or finger up the date poking...just for your own jollies. And sadly it isn't any better.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just fixing up yet another NH f@ckup! :biggrin:

You use "yes 9"...doesn't work so you have to change your mind.
You then try arse slapping or finger up the date poking...just for your own jollies. And sadly it isn't any better.

I notice the SH dominance in international scrums ;)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd like us to have a go at the Aus method.
Yes-9 did seem be a trigger for a push from both sides, so I can understand why we got rid of it - - but I still don't think it's a good idea to the touching the players. I'd like to try no signal at all.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I notice the SH dominance in international scrums ;)

Thats cause our fat boys are crap...probably lack of practice as our backs don't drop the ball as much as yours.

Lucky for us we're onto our 9th ranked hooker to start this weekends test v NZ....serious towelling coming up!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd like us to have a go at the Aus method.
Yes-9 did seem be a trigger for a push from both sides, so I can understand why we got rid of it - - but I still don't think it's a good idea to the touching the players. I'd like to try no signal at all.
Just do it when you don't have an assessor at your game.

Tell the both SH that you won't be giving him any signals, but you expect him to only put the ball in when its S & S. The rest is the same management as you do now.

What's the harm? Afterall he signal is management 'guidelines' not Law?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
.. and it will be one of those games where at the end of the game one of the spectators reveals himself as a Society bigwig --- who'd like to have word about the unusual engagement sequence :wink:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As I alluded previously, I've seen a few refs around my parts go against the ARU guidelines and use a signal to the SH with either touch or verbal, presumably because they see it at tests or S15 and haven't read the grassroots documents, so they just copy the big boys on tv. And in all honesty their scrums look less in control than their peers. Their scrum outcomes certainly don't ever look better! All they've managed to do is confuse the SH. One week he gets signals then the next few he doesn't.

I just don't see the evidence that signalling is needed.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
As I alluded previously, I've seen a few refs around my parts go against the ARU guidelines and use a signal to the SH with either touch or verbal, presumably because they see it at tests or S15 and haven't read the grassroots documents, so they just copy the big boys on tv. And in all honesty their scrums look less in control than their peers. Their scrum outcomes certainly don't ever look better! All they've managed to do is confuse the SH. One week he gets signals then the next few he doesn't.

I just don't see the evidence that signalling is needed.

Part of that is probably expectations though, isn't it? If the SH is not used to having a signal then suddenly having one takes a little getting used to. Last season when all this signalling started I do remember it took two or three games before SH got completely used to it, at first we'd often get the SH forgetting once or twice.

If

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
.. and it will be one of those games where at the end of the game one of the spectators reveals himself as a Society bigwig --- who'd like to have word about the unusual engagement sequence :wink:

Tell him you've been drinking
Z
. &
Z

It's then a Stella'n'Bolsh 'trial' .... :)

Last edited: