[Scrum] Scrum half in possession of the ball

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I don't think it's particularly complicated. :chin:

Perhaps not - but until I saw the picture I gained the wrong understanding from what was written in the text... Judging from the thread - I was not alone...

I am now happy - as it is back to what I expected (which is as your describe above).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
And even with the picture we have to, as taff explained, disregard the precise wording of the caption

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Perhaps not - but until I saw the picture I gained the wrong understanding from what was written in the text... Judging from the thread - I was not alone... I am now happy - as it is back to what I expected (which is as your describe above).
Please don't think I was having a dig Mcroker; hell I didn't even know the SH had his own offside line till I started Reffing. :wow:

Last edited:

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
No worries Taf --- I think overcomplicating things is a tendency that is easy for us to fall into, although I suggest that being specific about the laws is also probably in our nature as refs (somebody has to understand them!)

In this case - I was genuinely confused - I thought I knew the laws, and then when I checked couldn't find what I expected! The picture makes me much happier...

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This is what I think the Laws are trying to say but the text doesn't mesh with the diagram:

If the SH of the team in possession is going to serve the ball (ie. play it) from the scrum he is allowed to have one, but not both, feet in front of the ball. If he is not going to play it then he must retire to the hind foot.

That makes perfect sense to me.