Scrum half trick

David J.

Referees in America
Post Likes
Referred a match yesterday. At the scrum, the Gray SH, when defending did something I hadn't seen before. When the Blue SH picked up the ball, the Gray SH reached over or under the 8 man's legs and grabbed the Blue's leg and pulled in an attempted to disrupt the pass.

It looked odd, but it didn't seem contrary to law, so I didn't whistle.

Thoughts?

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
As long as the Grey SH played the Blue scrum half when the latter had the ball from an onside position without leaning on or obstructing any Blue players then no problem as I see it; good SH skill.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Eightman counter to clever S/H - drag the ball up to the back of second rows feet with right foot, clever S/H oversteps line of ball, referee signals advantage ....

I am not promoting the 2009 USA game management guidelines, BUT defending scrumhalves are not to position themselves in the "pocket" area between the flanker and 8man, and should be managed by the referee before penalizing.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Sounds like good SH play. Scrum is over, and opponent is in possession, so he can be tap tackled.

SH in possesion needs to develop a faster pass (or getaway) from the base - or get his pack to deliver down channel 3 to help him

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
hardly a SH 'trick', this has been standard defensive SH practice for years.

I would always push it to get ahead of the ball (unless warned or pinged by the ref), get into the pocket and either look for an ankle tap or arm tug as my oppo was in the act of passing. Basically as disruptive and unpleasant I could be.

Naturally there were oppo flankers, #8s and SHs, who objected, and hence a few on pitch enemies and off pitch life time drinking pals were gained !

In reverse as the attacking SH, as DaveT says I would work hard with my #8 & open side on protective postioning, a fast pass away from the ground and the good old fashioned dive pass worked well. Also we would work on a variety of channel 1 fast ball to #8 right hand side, second row stopping the ball to catch oppo SH coming round too fast, etc.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I am not promoting the 2009 USA game management guidelines, BUT defending scrumhalves are not to position themselves in the "pocket" area between the flanker and 8man, and should be managed by the referee before penalizing.

I played SH for the duration of my career, and defensively did exactly as ST says.

The Game Management Guidelines are again inconsistent with law - it IS possible to be in the pocket without infringing law, especially given some of the halfwits who play flanker. I will NOT penalize good defensive play that doesn't break the law.
And yes, I pay the price when I get assessed.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
It is not clear whether the SH's leg or the #8 is being pulled to disrupt the pass. If it is the #8, that is playing the man without the ball - PK. Otherwise, fine.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you don't like to see scrum halfs get trodden on -look away now :nono: