Self doubt requiring clearing up...........

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Agree in realtion to OP but if it was achieved by, for example, a weak kick under pressure or by defenders fumbling it backwards I would not consider it advantage over
Agree that a kick under pressure is not playing the ball as they wish. However a badkick under no pressure is advantage over - it can happen from a scrum as well.

A kick that goes directly into touch from outside the 22 is usually called advantage over while it is still in the air.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
A kick that goes directly into touch from outside the 22 is usually called advantage over while it is still in the air.

Not in the Premiership apparently.

Saw this in the ERCC on Saturday. Romain Poite waited until the kick landed (out on the full) and then came all the way back for the knock on some 50m back (so advantage not over).

I have always been told to call advantage over for an unpressurised kick when the ball is in the air (they have played the ball as they wished).

FightOrFlight

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes

Saw this in the ERCC on Saturday. Romain Poite waited until the kick landed (out on the full) and then came all the way back for the knock on some 50m back (so advantage not over).

I have always been told to call advantage over for an unpressurised kick when the ball is in the air (they have played the ball as they wished).

It was a shocking call that could have cost Ulster the draw to be honest

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
my impression is that this season premiership referees have played longer scrum advantages, and have looked for more concrete advantage. I wonder if there has been a steer in that direciton (not a radical change, just a nudge). might be wrong.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes

I didn't watch the match and have only half followed this thread (or any other) since the weekend. I'm glad that it didn't "cost the match", but at the same time the only way to win matches is to ensure you are far enough ahead than a single 50m kick decision against doesn't potentially lose it.

I too love the advantage law, happy with the OPs calls and also that the captain didn't protest, as usual can see both sides of the argument and hung between them.

In terms of the equity/enjoyment debate, I'd rather play long advantages consistently when both teams want to play rugby. This is at my (low) level. If sometimes that means not calling 'advantage over' to the detriment of either side, it will generally balance out.

Perhaps the entire issue of advantage should never have any self-doubt attached. Yes, by all means discuss specific scenarios after the event to improve oneself by reflection (and others willing to learn from your experience), but when you make a 50/50 call, there is no right or wrong. You made the decision, the captain can ask respectfully what it was, and that's it.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes

The referee is sole judge of whether or not a team has gained an advantage. The referee has wide discretion when making decisions.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Refereed a game last week, a thoroughly enjoyable fixture it must be said, however, the scenario below is my only downside to the game.......

Greens are trying to get out of their own 22 when they knock on 15m from their own try line. I play advantage, reds then start attacking. 6m from the green try line reds fumble the ball backwards, a green player gathers it (reds slow to react) and boots the ball out behind his own goal line.

I call advantage not over, so go back to the initial green knock on and award scrum to reds 15m from try line. Red Captain (very politely) asks 'should we not have the 5m scrum Sir as it's more advantageous?'

I replied by saying no, as a further offence hadn't occurred so there was no further advantage that could be gained. In all fairness, red captain says ok and carries on, no other questions from him.

After the game I did start questioning myself regarding this decision however, as red would have gained more advantage from the 5m scrum.

Was I right or wrong to award the scrum at the place of the knock on? Answers on a postcard please............

Sounds like this to me

(f) After the ball has been made dead. Advantage cannot be played after the ball has been made dead.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
From the OP: Greens are trying to get out of their own 22 when they knock on 15m from their own try line. I play advantage, reds then start attacking. 6m from the green try line reds fumble the ball backwards, a green player gathers it (reds slow to react) and boots the ball out behind his own goal line.

I call advantage not over, so go back to the initial green knock on and award scrum to reds 15m from try line. Red Captain (very politely) asks 'should we not have the 5m scrum Sir as it's more advantageous?'

I replied by saying no, as a further offence hadn't occurred so there was no further advantage that could be gained. In all fairness, red captain says ok and carries on, no other questions from him.

Agree with those that would have considered advantage over if Red gain 10m.

However, as you were still playing advantage when green hoof it through their own goal then the product of that (5m scrum) should apply. If advantage was over that would be what Red would get, right? By going back to the 15m it was disadvantage.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The referee is sole judge of whether or not a team has gained an advantage. The referee has wide discretion when making decisions.

That's not the issue, or the point I was making.
The issue is (I cant believe I am saying this :sarc: ) they seem to do it different in the Prem'

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
That's not the issue, or the point I was making.
The issue is (I cant believe I am saying this :sarc: ) they seem to do it different in the Prem'

or are the referees not quite as good as we assume they are?