[Ruck] Should the ladder/caterpiller ruck be outlawed?

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Perhaps the 'use it' call should be made as soon as the ball is available-for the good of the game. OR we could apply a much more strict application of 'time-wasting' without a 5 second warning; straight to FK.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I agree with the posts referring to enforcing offside better (this is for both teams, I especially focus on the ball playing team with players in front of the ball not bound to the ruck thereby obstructing) and calling use it quickly. Do these things and you solve most of the problems. It’s only really a TV rugby problem anyway which we all know is a very different game to the one we referee!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think a lot of this could be cured if the instruction to use it had to be acted on immediately, or perhaps without delay, rather than the very generous and boring 5 seconds currently allowed

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I was watching the bristol game and it was clear the scrum half was coming in front of the back foot to move the ball back with his foot.
So he is technically offside.
Howeve,r if you cantually whistled this, I am sure what would happen is they would go to the scrum half moving the ball back, then adding an extra man, moving the ball etc. and take even more time.

Perhaps we should prevent any player - from either side - joining a ruck once the ball is clearly won and the ref has called use it. The side that has won would have two seconds (five is an eternity) to use it or lose it.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Im a big believer in keeping it simple, so as soon as the ball is available call use it, if they take more than 5 sec then you penalise them.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes I think this is the solution

1 . use it means without delay, or 2 or 3 seconds
2 . No player can join a ruck after a use it call