Sledging based on Sexuality

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I play rugby in Holland, and have done for 15 years; we just don't have issues with players' nationality, sexuality or any other part of their background here, at least certainly not at my club or the other two clubs where I played.

I would hope that English rugby has reached that point too, but maybe it can only ever be a reflection of society.

I think you have had your sense of humour removed as well?

I made a (probably crap) joke about "how can you have International matches if you are blind to Nationality".

I then got a lecture on the morals of English rugby :confused:

Mich the Blind Side

Player or Coach
Post Likes
I think you have had your sense of humour removed as well?

I made a (probably crap) joke about "how can you have International matches if you are blind to Nationality".

I then got a lecture on the morals of English rugby :confused:

Seeing as I can't hear your tone of voice or see your face, it's a bit difficult to judge if you're being humourous.

But sorry, I interpreted your chin rubbing smiley as 'thinking seriously about this', when you may have meant 'just joking'.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Assume it's the default setting for Phil

Oops, forgot the :biggrin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Seeing as I can't hear your tone of voice or see your face, it's a bit difficult to judge if you're being humourous.

But sorry, I interpreted your chin rubbing smiley as 'thinking seriously about this', when you may have meant 'just joking'.

Yes, just joking.....:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

My bad.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Doesn't seem a huge problem to me. Rugby is the preferred winter sport of the English public school. Any public school Old Boys team probably has a majority of gay or bisexuals among its target population:wink:

That would place a lot of gay men fairly and squarely in the England teams of the amateur era, where the school you attended was a major part of the selection criteria :D

I think it would be tricky to form an "all gay" team given the PC times we live in. How would you advertise for players, stating that to be accepted you must be gay, when you could bw leaving yourself open to accusations of sexual discrimination against "straight" players?

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
In my neck of the woods, for a couple of years, 2 out of the 8 teams in DIII were gay. There was never a problem. It took about 5 years for one to become competitive and the other had to fold.

As Jacob claimed about his club, the socials were the typically quite good. At one in particular, even the gay club joked they may have gone a little over the top. The social was in a rainbow bar with a ranch fountain. It was also humorous that the club had to have a practice where they only worked on boat races. It's one thing to get beat 100-5, but then you better not lose a 5-man boat race by 3. :swet:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The social was in a rainbow bar with a ranch fountain.

Is that a euphemism for something?

You're going to have to explain :confused:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Let’s keep rugby cosmopolitan and worldly please.

Indeed. If a chap wishes to insert his old fella into another chap's back passage, it should have no influence on his choice of sport. This is 2010, after all. :nono:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
very eloquently put Dickie :)

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
Is that a euphemism for something?

You're going to have to explain :confused:

Everyone knew the team was gay. The rainbow painted bar in downtown with every beer sign in the place with rainbows was a reminder. Having a ranch fountain (thanks for the example Peter) at a rugby social (especially when it was not put on by women or where minors were allowed), well I haven't seen that with any other team. :biggrin:

Good times were had by all. And they finished 1.5 back in the boat race. :)

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
DickieE - so long as the owner of the back passage is also happy with the situation

madref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi

I have refereed Village Spartens a couple of times, great set of lads and give as good as they get!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
DickieE - so long as the owner of the back passage is also happy with the situation

so if you're not happy with it you can't play rugby? Might explain the paucity of prison teams :biggrin:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I understand that shower gel and shampoo bottles are forbidden.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I understand that shower gel and shampoo bottles are forbidden.

I guess soap-on-a-rope would be out of the question :wow:

Last edited:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Aussie, convicts, prison jokes... no idea where this is leading.

Hey, Bruce fancy a shag?

I do now, yer smooth talking son of bitch!

do I really need to bother with a "joking" icon?

Oh - yeah, Chopper might see this...:wink:

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agree with Big J- treat any abuse as you would racist abuse-recognise banter for what it is (the clue is usually the recipient falling over in mirth).
Steelers are a delight to ref- i did possibly their biggest ever game in the cup-an oppo prop had declined to partcipate- his losss and as his coach said FR comp. was such he had probably ruled himself out for rest of season. Did my normal breif re discipline being skips responsibility including normal line "if anyone gets their handbags out you calm them down.."-both skips in stitches steelers skip quick as flash "no worries sir we tend to leave them with the valuables.""