Sledging based on Sexuality

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ok a slightly strange one for me,

I have been asked to referee a game and one of the team is openly gay.

This in itself is no problem, but I am concerned about any comments made on the park, specifically on the basis of sexualty.

If this was race, then I am happy that any racial abuse would end in a RC, but what about this?

Any pointers?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Having refereed the only openly gay team in the RFU without any problems I think that you are creating problems before they arise.

However, treat it as you would any other form of verbal abuse.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Andy, this is a foreseeable, but very unusual, situation and it makes sense to be forearmed if you can. In your shoes, I think I'd take the view that anything gay-ish equates to a bad swear word. So "you pansy" becomes "you c*%t" for the purposes of sanctions. Would I mention it before the game? I don't think so - seems a bit precious.

Beckett50, you're presumably referring to Kings Cross Steelers. Either they're on tour (and the pink pound doesn't stretch as far as it used to) or else Yorks is a hotbed of deviancy as well, in which case the Steelers have lost the tiara of uniqueness:biggrin:

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
it's the Newcastle Ravens.

Whilst I do not see any problems, if I get them I prefer to deal with them correctly.

Also the opposition are usually chirpy ;-)

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
There are always somethings that will affect a player. I had a schools derby game where a lad had lost his mum recently and an opponent who knew situation provoked him with a "your mother" joke making the 13 year old cry. I had him replaced for remainder of the game whereas if he made it normally I probably would have given him a warning. Spoke to coach after game and the young fella apologised to him privately after the game.

Banter is well and good and you dont want to single out a player who might already be uncomfotable but I take a strict line to on-pitch bullying.

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There are always somethings that will affect a player. I had a schools derby game where a lad had lost his mum recently and an opponent who knew situation provoked him with a "your mother" joke making the 13 year old cry. I had him replaced for remainder of the game whereas if he made it normally I probably would have given him a warning. Spoke to coach after game and the young fella apologised to him privately after the game.

Banter is well and good and you dont want to single out a player who might already be uncomfotable but I take a strict line to on-pitch bullying.

Sick. Stories like these genuinely make me wonder do I ever want children...

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
yes they are - just some are badder than others :D

OK, I'm getting on my soapbox.

I've just returned from a tour with 20 U15 players - Alcester RFC U15's.

Over the entire weekend, not once did any coach or responsible adult have to take a member of the squad on one side to deal with behaviour issues. The boys were a credit to their families, a credit to Alcester RFC, and a credit to the game.

They are not all bad:nono:

Staybound

Referees in England
Post Likes
Personally I don't think homophobic comments should be tolerated at all. To me they are on a par with racist comments and should be treated the same. Everyone has a right to play this sport and I believes that referees are one of the pillars that protect that right. If I heard it on the pitch I'd RC it. If I heard one of my young players use it they would be given a severe talking to and a repeat would mean they would be looking for another club.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Andrew

I think you may be overly sensitive in advance - if openly gay, the player is comfortable with his situation. Naturally you are forewarned and so manage matters accordingly but donot pre-judge and highlight it.

As for direct sexual abuse deal with it in your judgement at the time, if and when it happens (surely highly unlikely) and take the appropriate sanctions (quite word of admonishment, major bollocking, penalty, cards). The higher you escalate it, the more you draw attention to the issue.

It is abuse along with all other types, and unacceptable.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Kids are like farts - you can barely tolerate your own!

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Andrew

I think you may be overly sensitive in advance - if openly gay, the player is comfortable with his situation. Naturally you are forewarned and so manage matters accordingly but donot pre-judge and highlight it.

As for direct sexual abuse deal with it in your judgement at the time, if and when it happens (surely highly unlikely) and take the appropriate sanctions (quite word of admonishment, major bollocking, penalty, cards). The higher you escalate it, the more you draw attention to the issue.

It is abuse along with all other types, and unacceptable.

Thanks Simon it makes sense. However it is the whole team, not just one guy, hence why I feel it is more likely to be an issue.

Saying that I very much doubt any of the players will comment. However I was just interested in the comparibility with racism etc. The general consensus here seems to be, not linked, therefore just deal with it as normal.

Andy

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
Like Andrew I have had the pleasure of reffing Kings Cross Steelers in their early days, their sexuallity was not an issue for anyone involved and I heard no such abuse on the field. I think you are making an issue where one possibly doesn't/won't exist. If i did hear anything like that then I would treat it exactly like a racist comment. In 15 years of reffing I have heard one racist comment.

They were as hard and committed as any other rugby player. I found them were a great bunch of guys who were up for a laugh, their off field drinking activities and banter were something to behold :D

Last edited:

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
Probably more common in Ladies' rugby where participants are pretty open about their sexuality ... being ladies this tends to be banter and taunting rather than abusive. They're great fun to ref IMHO.

Gareth-Lee Smith

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Completely irrelevant, but I'm interested has to how an entirely openly-gay squad is formed. Shouldn't think recruitment is easy due to the lesser popularity of rugby, and - I should think - an even lower incidence of gay people prefering rugby.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Shouldn't think recruitment is easy due to the lesser popularity of rugby, and - I should think - an even lower incidence of gay people prefering rugby.
Doesn't seem a huge problem to me. Rugby is the preferred winter sport of the English public school. Any public school Old Boys team probably has a majority of gay or bisexuals among its target population:wink: