Vast difference in sanction
We need the 20 minute replacement

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes I thought Kolisi was a goner. Quite surprised when it was YC only.
Tough 24 hours for NZ ... rugby union, rugby league & cricket 😀

Nilo

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I wasn't surprised myself. Straight away for Cane I thought definite yellow, likely turn into a red. Kolisi I was immediately at a yellow card and no more. Most of the impact went through the chest from my perspective and Cane had a more obvious "always illegal" aspect to it.

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
I wasn't surprised myself. Straight away for Cane I thought definite yellow, likely turn into a red. Kolisi I was immediately at a yellow card and no more. Most of the impact went through the chest from my perspective and Cane had a more obvious "always illegal" aspect to it.
Personally I’m no longer sure what is a YC and what is a RC when it comes to head contact.

I saw no mitigation in SK’s tackle yet the explanation given by WB included reference to the “dynamics of the tackle”

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Personally I’m no longer sure what is a YC and what is a RC when it comes to head contact.

I saw no mitigation in SK’s tackle yet the explanation given by WB included reference to the “dynamics of the tackle”
My point isn't that the decisions were wrong, no doubt they were correct, it's that there was only a tiny difference between two offences yet they attract enormously different sanctions
It's not proportionate

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Not proportionate?

I wonder if the people with life-changing head injuries will think that?

Some people always seem to be bleeding from head injuries, eg Curry but there appeared to be a few more yesterday. So not sure that is the measure we should look at.

I would also offer that it seems the offended players are staying down, this might be to bring the ref and TMO attention to a potential incident, they even clarified that Kolbe wasn't down due to foul play!

But if the player is staying down and needs assistance how are they then allowed to continue without off-field independent assessment, HIA?

Something needs to be sorted to protect the players and the RWC has to me indicated that head contact protocols are, at the moment, a lottery(n)

If you hit shoulder to shoulder and ride up you are too high! Force the tackle height down by effective sanctions.

It was great to see Underhill back tackling low, and extremely effectively and his buddy loitering to clear up loose ball.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Only one incident that was close to a life changing injury in that game ... Frizell on Mbonambe's knee.

Just a YC for that one, because currently knees don't matter much all focus is on heads

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I do not believe we need more sanctions, but we need clarity.
If the rule is, if you are illegal, there is no mitigation for head contact, then apply that.
If not, clarify exactly what the rules are.

Then players can adapt.

If we want the game to change, and I think we do, then I think it needs to be the former, and referees will take some flak early on.
But I would also like to see that the non-offending player goes off for a HIA - or, in lower leagues, be replaced.
Because, if this is about safety, then we need to keep the players safe.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If we want the game to change, and I think we do, then I think it needs to be the former, and referees will take some flak early on.
The subsequent flak would me mitigated if there is a coordinated campaign of information, with a coherent message, all specifically tailored for the audience (Refs, look for a, b, c, and penalize with x, y, z. Coaches, the refs are looking for a, b, and c - make sure players know this or they’ll concede x, y, z etc. all with plenty of examples just either side of the borderline since the ‘easy’ calls like an upright shoulder barge to the head are too obvious to bring clarity where we need nuance.)

But this requires forethought, planning, and a well thought through plan which, as noted by Didds
They make it up as they go along
Or at best cobble together a knee jerk reaction and leave the rest of us to pick through and try and work it out.

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Cane, RC, Kolisi YC
Slim margins
Very similar offences
Vast difference in sanction
We need the 20 minute replacement
Very similar, Not sure we are watching the same game?

Agree on the 20 minute though, a red card offence sanction depends on the time of if the incident. It's bizarre.

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Only one incident that was close to a life changing injury in that game ... Frizell on Mbonambe's knee.

Just a YC for that one, because currently knees don't matter much all focus is on heads

For that one, I think we need a new category of intent, somewhere between "accidental" and "deliberate"...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Very similar, Not sure we are watching the same game?

Agree on the 20 minute though, a red card offence sanction depends on the time of if the incident. It's bizarre.
Both tackles
In neither case was their any intention to impact head
In both cases players too high
Both impacts to head
Both high degree of danger
Very slight differences in height and point of contact

According to the fine differences used in the protocol, correct decisions.

But no way did those slight differences make one worth 10 mins in the bin while the merits 53 min plus a (what?) two week ban

They weren't *that* different

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For that one, I think we need a new category of intent, somewhere between "accidental" and "deliberate"...
For me that was way the most reckless, most unpleasant and and egregious act in the game. Indeed perhaps the tournament.
It could easily have permanently damaged his knee ... perhaps it even did, we shall see.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

No, because he fell, and didn’t do a Darcy.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Both tackles
In neither case was their any intention to impact head
In both cases players too high
Both impacts to head
Both high degree of danger
Very slight differences in height and point of contact

According to the fine differences used in the protocol, correct decisions.

But no way did those slight differences make one worth 10 mins in the bin while the merits 53 min plus a (what?) two week ban

They weren't *that* different
Remind me, did the SA hooker pass his HIA?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Remind me, did the SA hooker pass his HIA?
He wasn't involved in either tackle was he? Or in any other tackle/head contact incident... i don't think he had an HIA, did he ?
Or am I forgetting something