Snow on pitch

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
As I've posted in another thread, I'm a new ref with my first match on Sunday, an U16 fixture.

We've had quite a bit of snow around here and the pitch will have about an inch or two of snow on it at the moment. The forecast has the temperatures over the weekend as somewhere between -1C and 1C so it's unlikely the snow will melt but it's not a sufficiently prolonged low temperature for the pitch to be frozen.

I know a frozen pitch when I see one, so no problem there. But what about the snow? In my playing days, back in the 80's, we would simply ensure that the lines were cleared and visible and then 'game on'. Does it still work that way these days? Who makes the call about pitch condition in junior matches? Ref or coach?

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
The referee doesn't make any decision until kick-off. Ask the two coaches for their opinion and go with that. Don't offer your opinion unless they both want to play and you definitely don't. Even if they ask for your opinion I wouldn't give it.

As regards to the snow on the pitch I know I've refereed on a pitch with snow on it, with just the lines cleared.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Thanks Adam. Your reply confirmed what I thought would be the case. So, no problem with U16s playing on a snowy pitch provided: (a) the coaches are happy; (b) I'm happy; (c) the pitch isn't frozen?

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes. That would be my take. I would also allow them to wear full length leggings.

scarletjack

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
yes. That would be my take. I would also allow them to wear full length leggings.

i was led to believe that full length leggings or tights as i call them are not allowed
can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
i was led to believe that full length leggings or tights as i call them are not allowed

in RFU land unfortunately YES they are now allowed if it is cold - p3 Base Layer Regs http://www.hantsrefs.org.uk/TLOct2011.pdf

but I would hope in the Principality the youth man-up a bit more than in England.

my defintion of cold is -30 !

scarletjack

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
in RFU land unfortunately YES they are now allowed if it is cold - p3 Base Layer Regs http://www.hantsrefs.org.uk/TLOct2011.pdf

but I would hope in the Principality the youth man-up a bit more than in England.

ops i have told players that they are not allowed , so looks like i may have to change my ways
allthough i'm with you on the fact that they should man up :pepper: surly it's not that cold

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
ops i have told players that they are not allowed , so looks like i may have to change my ways
allthough i'm with you on the fact that they should man up :pepper: surly it's not that cold
You are not wrong - it is the RFU that has unilaterally decided, through ignorance and the general incompetence that characterises the organisation just now, to ignore a law ruling. The RFU does not hold sway over the Principality - stick to your guns.

By the way, the law requires you not to start a game on a dangerous pitch. It does not say whose definition of dangerous holds sway. In general, if either of the coaches or you says its dangerous it would be unwise to start.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

I have asked as to the RFU definition of "cold" but have yet to receive a reply.

I go with ST on this ;)

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I have asked as to the RFU definition of "cold" but have yet to receive a reply.

As the sole judge of fact and law, I assume the ref decides what's cold and what's not. Having grown up in the wilds of Scotland, I may have a slightly different view of cold :scot:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Basically the RFU ruling means players at U18 and below can wear leggings.
It's not up to you to decide if it's cold, it's up to the player.

Just ridicule them mercilessly.

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Basically the RFU ruling means players at U18 and below can wear leggings.

Staggering. I don't want to start by saying "When I were a lad...." but when I were a lad you were sent home from school if you turned up in long trousers. This was at the age of 5.
Tell them that if they are cold they are not running around enough. (cue 4 Yorkshiremen sketch)