Soap Box; RBS & Scotland RFU

Brian Ravenhill

Referees in England
Post Likes
Forgive me if I get some facts wrong, but I believe that Royal Bank of Scotland are now owned/ controlled by HM Government having bailed them out due to the financial crisis. The Scottish RFU have announced a major sponsorship deal with RBS believed to be a seven figure sum.
HM government are currently trying to save money, quite right too, and one route to this saving is to cut/slash funding for school sports.
So HM government are not going to give money to schools to allow our children to partake in sports, but are prepared to give it to a bank to then give to the SRFU to effectively spend on a very few players! Whilst all the press info will say that funding goes down to grass roots rugby and in truth some, a very little bit, does get the grass roots. The vast majority will be spent on a very pampered few at the elite end of the game.
Last week my child came home from school with a letter asking permission for him to sign a petition to prevent the slashing of school sports funding. If children can get the habit of playing sport it will hopefully stay with them for a very long time. Some children are not academically suited to the school environment but excel when on the sports field are these children to be victims of the cuts.
If you or your child has the opportunity to sign such a petition as my child has just give it a little more thought than a lot of the pieces of paper they bring home from school.

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My children also brought home requests to sign said petition.

I may be mistaken but was there not a government u-turn on this a couple of days ago?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I feel an ST post about one of his clients coming on:wink:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Not just the RBS. Don't Northern Rock still support the 'Toon? And Halifax/HBOS?

Michael Gove and slashing school sports? Man should be run out of town.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Michael Gove and slashing school sports? Man should be run out of town.
Doesn't look like a man who has ever actually run. I suspect we could walk him out of town though - or perhaps wheel him.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Think wider (and hold your nose for a while as the whole thing stinks) but I think that RBS will recover and turn out to be a good investment for us (as in the tax payer).

Part of that is that the RBS brand needs to become a less toxic - and this may help that happen and I assume that is the aim.

If it works x hundred thousan is money well spent.

(And I think this is as close to poltics as this forum should get!)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm no economist, but isn't it technically the case that the government has simply guaranteed that RBS will be able to meet its commitments? I don't know what strings maybe attached to the guarantee, but I don't think the government has in effect nationalised RBS.

Nonetheless, I am always sorry to see sport in schools reduced. I was one of the legion of not-very-talented children who got a lot out of it.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
The banks are bloody crooks, effing useless.

Wonder who makes the profits? The government, bollocks, anyway the Tories wont like it, they will get them privatised fully again soon ;)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I feel an ST post about one of his clients coming on:wink:

this is not a suitable forum to debate the relationships (if any) between

a) corporate sports sponsorships and the ROI rekate them in building direct business, coporate image, community cohesion etc.

b) government share ownership and financial guarantees to the commercial banks (whose problems were caused by the investment banking parts of their business).

c) government funding cuts / budgets for schools and youth sports

many of our clients involved in sports sponsorship packages make significant financial contributions to community / school level sports projects.