soggy scorecard

big fish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Bit of a basic question, but does anyone have any suggestions with how to over come a soggy scorecard. I do have a scorecard holder but during my last game the heavens opened whilst i was marking a score and i could only just make out the scores. It could have been very embarrassing as it was a very highscoring close match.

Gareth-Lee Smith

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I actually have no suggestions other than use a football-style wallet and use a tally rather than the actual numbers.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Bit of a basic question, but does anyone have any suggestions with how to over come a soggy scorecard. I do have a scorecard holder but during my last game the heavens opened whilst i was marking a score and i could only just make out the scores. It could have been very embarrassing as it was a very highscoring close match.

Phil E is talking to a potential supplier of write-on cards - discussed on this thread:

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6629

(If he can get some we could probably get Steve or Andy to get a stock of them for East Mids.)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
A referee should have two of everything - shirt, whistle, stud key - and that includes scorecard in my view. I keep a spare wallet and scorecard in my left pocket for just such a scenario, having been caught out like that early in my career. That wallet also contains the YC, RC and 50p coin, so I rarely have to go into that pocket during a game. The card is actually reversed by default, so I can use the back to record the YC and RC offences. If I have to turn it around, I will - but it's never happened since I made the decision that I needed the backup! Typical.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Take a spare out with you and ask a TJ / coach/spectator to keep score as well

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Other option is to get promoted to a level where there is a scoreboard and fourth official..... :wink: (having said that, i still do it all myself out of habit)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A referee should have two of everything
A friend of mine is well-known locally as a speaker at things like WIs and Rotary Clubs. One of his talks is about refereeing rugby, and he makes this point about duplication. He is dressed in rugby kit and shows the stop watch on one wrist. Then pulls up his other sleeve to show a second watch. Without further comment he pulls the sleeve up further to reveal four more watches.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
A friend of mine is well-known locally as a speaker at things like WIs and Rotary Clubs. One of his talks is about refereeing rugby, and he makes this point about duplication. He is dressed in rugby kit and shows the stop watch on one wrist. Then pulls up his other sleeve to show a second watch. Without further comment he pulls the sleeve up further to reveal four more watches.

Presumably with 6 watches comes 6 whistles, 6 pencils, 6 coins..............

Bet he jangles nicely as he runs :biggrin:

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
I refereed in Switzerland and they issued us with waterproof scorecards, its like plasticy feel paper, I am however down to my last one.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I refereed in Switzerland and they issued us with waterproof scorecards, its like plasticy feel paper, I am however down to my last one.

Watershed all weather waterproof note books.
As used by me on the flight deck of aircraft carriers in all weathers and the Jungles of Sierra Leone, wont rip, can be used with poen or pencil:biggrin:

Expensive, but does exactly what it says on the tin.

Chartwell Notepads

Chartwell-Watershed-Waterproof-Book

A-Guide-to-Chartwell-Waterproof-Books-Watershed-Pads

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Doesn't the ball keep falling in the sea? :chin:

That is ok Lee, they have got Deeps and his merry band to fish them out !

Deeps1.jpg

Last edited:

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
A referee should have two of everything - shirt, whistle, stud key - and that includes scorecard in my view. I keep a spare wallet and scorecard in my left pocket for just such a scenario, having been caught out like that early in my career. That wallet also contains the YC, RC and 50p coin, so I rarely have to go into that pocket during a game. The card is actually reversed by default, so I can use the back to record the YC and RC offences. If I have to turn it around, I will - but it's never happened since I made the decision that I needed the backup! Typical.

what Dixie said, 'cept I'm a tight wad and only use a 2p piece though two weeks ago I made a profit having found a £1 coin and lost only 2p. Who takes a £1 coin onto the pitch with them?

taking a tip from Simon Thomas my main wallet now swaps pockets at unexpected interruption (Sunday: Large black bin bag inflated by wind blows around and across pitch and is chased by club chef across the attacking 3's!) or injury down time to remind me who has put in at scrum....

quite important to have two socks, at least, I find.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
As used by me on the flight deck of aircraft carriers in all weathers and the Jungles of Sierra Leone, wont rip, can be used with pen or pencil.

Gosh Phil, you have refereed in some exciting places!

Pusser used to issue a supervisors' write on waterproof card for recording dives/stoppages etc but most of us would struggle with a soggy S.288 which after all is a legal document.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Gosh Phil, you have refereed in some exciting places!

Pusser used to issue a supervisors' write on waterproof card for recording dives/stoppages etc but most of us would struggle with a soggy S.288 which after all is a legal document.

I refereed a game of beach rugby once in Guinea where we had armed guards round the beach. One Navy rugby player broke his leg and after the game we found out that the guards had caught an armed insurgent and shot him just a hundred yards away from where we were all getting drunk and playing rugby (not at the same time).

Safe to say West Africa was the scariest and saddest place I have ever been and yet it also gave me some of the most heartwarming moments of my life. People with nothing are grateful beyond belief for anything and the crew practically striped the ship bare giving away everything onboard including their own possessions. Many a department head had a lot of explaining to do when we got home and had an audit.