some interesting thoughts from Spiro

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
bloody hell, is that knob still writing?

didds

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, I'd agree that NZ are in pole position for the RWC, and that it makes sense for Olympic 7s squads to be selected on merit from both codes.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I've never heard of this fella.

Agree about the 7s being selected from both codes.

Interestingly "Spiro Agnew" is an anagram of "Grow a penis"

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
There is no doubt that there are some very good athletes in league, but to suggest they could transition to a high level in Sevens with ease is way off beam. The very best Sevens teams are only looking at those 15s players that have previously history in the Sevens format so that the transition isn't above them in a short period. And that's with years of same basic code experience.
If Oz want to throw some high/no arms tackling. not releasing ball players into an olympic squad then good luck to them.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Wigan didn't do badly in the Middlesex Sevens (1996).

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Pity the next Olympics are 20 years later.
So the question is whether or not the two games have diverged significantly in Sevens since professionalism came in.

I don't claim to know the whole answer, but surely it is easier to cross codes as a Sevens player? In special cases that may be enough.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How is Sam Burgess shaping up in the centres?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've never heard of this fella.

Agree about the 7s being selected from both codes.

Interestingly "Spiro Agnew" is an anagram of "Grow a penis"

I know you're a Yorkie LLP, but surely you know the difference between a Kiwi journalist writing in Australia, and the Vice President of the United States under Tricky Dickie?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I know you're a Yorkie LLP, but surely you know the difference between a Kiwi journalist writing in Australia, and the Vice President of the United States under Tricky Dickie?

I've added him to my list of Spiros.

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So the question is whether or not the two games have diverged significantly in Sevens since professionalism came in.

The Sevens game and the 15s game have diverged hugely at the top level. The size requirements in 15s don't lend well to the more extreme aerobic needs of 7s for a start. Then there are the tactical styles that need to become instinctive.....

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The Sevens game and the 15s game have diverged hugely at the top level. The size requirements in 15s don't lend well to the more extreme aerobic needs of 7s for a start. Then there are the tactical styles that need to become instinctive.....
But have the Sevens versions diverged as much? Surely it is easier to cross over in Sevens than 15s? The question is whether it has become much more difficult than in 1996 (given professionalism etc).