Some Questions

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
...would you ever find yourself with your arm out "Penalty advantage blue - dissent"?

Yes, and I've done it. Last time was this Saturday gone. Got fed up with skipper/no 9, and the North American no 4. Both appealed for something AGAIN. So I put the arm out and played a PK advantage for dissent. (And yes I had already asked them to shut up (skippers brief) and told them (warning))

In the situation where the appealer has been right, I have also turned it over for a PK for dissent. Reason being - I don't want to be seen to be taking my cue from the players. General message is - Players play, Referee refs (surprisingly - the clue's in the name!).

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
2. You should only be wearing Society kit as and when appointed by the Society as an official TJ, complying with RFU Regulation 8.1.1. Otherwise I would expect you to be in 'civvies'.

But maybe I've come early to referee the game on the next pitch!:chin:

(and I would never EVER do it, I've walked away from the touchline at my local club when a club ref has been having a 'mare in the middle and questions are being fired at me both when in civvies and kitted up)

Last edited:

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
yes, why not?

because it had never occurred to me to do so until Sunday morning when I was so tempted after Blues yacky #8 shouted "That's got to be a forward pass Ref!" at me, I'm running along nicely he's standing still. How can he judge what is forward.....

...refrained from doing so because I wasn't sure of my ground, dissent advantage wise, and he was 'only' 15 and it didn't gel with the temper of the game. Yellow scored anyway.

Last edited:

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
In the situation where the appealer has been right, I have also turned it over for a PK for dissent. Reason being - I don't want to be seen to be taking my cue from the players. General message is - Players play, Referee refs (surprisingly - the clue's in the name!).

nowthatihavedone (assessor said it was harsh)

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Unless he (or the team) had been doing it incessantly I'd probably agree that it's a bit harsh. But, if it is going on constantly then it's a step that has to be taken.

I tend to brush off such remarks with either a simple "No it wasn't" or occassionally "How on earth could you see that from there?" if it was (I felt) an incorrect call. If it was one I agreed with then I'll go with something like "I've got it, and I don't need your help..." or "Let me make the decisions please - you just happened to be right that time..."

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
1. If he is a Society Referee I would expect him to show me the respect and courtesy I would extend to him in a role reversal (HINT to Deeps for Sunday's match v Jersey - pmsl !)

2. You should only be wearing Society kit as and when appointed by the Society as an official TJ, complying with RFU Regulation 8.1.1. Otherwise I would expect you to be in 'civvies'.

Simon,

Yes, I was delighted to see earlier that you had been appointed in charge of my Colts against Jersey this Sunday; I had been wondering which of us 'club' referees might have to take charge (as happened 2 weeks ago for an earlier round Cup game) and had decided to resolve it on which of our son's had not been selected.

We shall afford you the same enormous respect we do all of our referees and I will indeed be in 'civvies'. In truth, with few exceptions, we have enjoyed a very high standard of refereeing this season which is of course what these lads need. They get frustrated when the referee is not up to their level as has happened occasionally when we visit out of county. You can usually guess there might be a problem when the referee asks things like 'What are the differences between U15 and U19 Variations?'.

As you know, I encourage my subs bench to take turns at running the line as it gives them a different perspective on the game and encourages individuals to take partial ownership of a support function. I find that subs tend to be a lot calmer than 'helpful' parents and, not that I have coaching staff to spare, would not dream of allowing our coaching team of being distracted from their primary purpose. I make the point of reminding player TJs that they are the referee's representative on the touch line and that their function is to support him as he requires. Some of them take to it well, others are embarrassed by being put into the public eye particularly if they are not as familiar with Law as they like to think.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Greg, its all about finding what works for you.

There are plenty more things that I say that most on these fora would find anathema, but they work for me and my style. As an example, I remind players that this isn't cricket, and so there is no need to appeal for a decision. Works for me, but may not for you.

Visualise the scenarios and seek outcomes based upon your style and personality. Various people go on about Spreaders, but you could also take the likes Chris White, Andrew Small etc. They all have a unique style that they have developed - and works for them - that is adaptable to all occassions and teams.

What do you do if ealry in the game the first, or second, advice call is wrong and you weren't going to play advantage as no offence has taken place? E.g "That's a forward pass ref!" from Red when you judge it other wise? I just call "Get on with it" or "Play on" which set me thinking...

...would you ever find yourself with your arm out "Penalty advantage blue - dissent"?

If the early advice call is wrong then I let the player know it was wrong and finish with a loud "Play-on!" call.