Surprised he didn't end up with :noyc:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Surprised he didn't end up with :noyc:

So am I, although there have been a lot of whinging South African press and fans claiming that he ought to have been cited, but wasn't because the he wasn't a South African.

I guess there is a lot of ignorance of the citing regulations.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
PK at the least, quickly given by SW.

Possible YC at Community level, perhaps not at elite level.

Not a RC offence (so not citing territory).

Leading shoulder and then forearm used, no offer of arms to tackle at all.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Much too practised for a yellow. The man's lethal.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
At professinal levels these guys tend to react when there is something out of order - no reaction from Sharks to the contact.

I suspect this is the sort of stuff they experience in training week in, week out.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Somehow posted twice apologies

Camquin

Last edited:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
There is an argument that if we allow the elite players to get away with stuff club players will copy them and the players they come up against will not have spent the entire week training.

Thoughts?

Camquin

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
What do people think of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV2uiEfEFJ0&feature=player_embedded

How does it compare to Banahan's hit? Especially the use and lifting of the forearm (which a lot of people seemed to disregard in Banahan's hit, but was at least an attempt to strike, for mine).

Are you talking about Banahan v Scotland game? If so Banahan was the ball carrier so surely you are looking at 2 different things.

Added: Looking at the clip, I would say a yellow would be well deserved. Shoulder charge, pure and simple, with attempted 'extras' and no hint of an effort to wrap.

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
PK at the least, quickly given by SW.

Possible YC at Community level, perhaps not at elite level.

Not a RC offence (so not citing territory).

Leading shoulder and then forearm used, no offer of arms to tackle at all.

Had the hit been below the shoulders, I would have been happy with just the PK but SBW has hit a player with shoulder charge to the head. YC for mine.

Hard for ex-leaguies to get the shoulder charge out of their game. It's a problem in juniors when a youngster jumps codes and sees the light. It is the first thing we tell them about at their first rugby practice.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I just figured out who puts the remarks under the flags over here

<<<<<<<<<<<<

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
guess "it" was just "taken" out of you?

Oh it's Ex H is it? Can't say I'd ever taken any notice of them before but now it's been mentioned there's quite a few variables...

Last edited:

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Isn't SBP a boxer versed in assault?

If so shouldn't that be taken into consideration - particularly if he was/is a pro. - should he ever be cited? :sad:

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have a reckless high tackle and I've sent him off. This is not a legal tackle in any code. Not much difference for me (in terms of on-field sanction) between that one and, say, this. Tackle's being made, second man in should know where the guy's head should be, and he still hits him right on the chin.

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
I have a reckless high tackle and I've sent him off. This is not a legal tackle in any code. Not much difference for me (in terms of on-field sanction) between that one and, say, this. Tackle's being made, second man in should know where the guy's head should be, and he still hits him right on the chin.

Agree with you. If players tackle at chest height, they need to be very careful with the outcome. I don't buy the excuse of "but he ducked", if you tackle high on the torso you have to be prepared that a moving player is going to do exactly that, move.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Hard for ex-leaguies to get the shoulder charge out of their game. It's a problem in juniors when a youngster jumps codes and sees the light. It is the first thing we tell them about at their first rugby practice.

Very hard here for the guys who play league on Saturday and rugby on Sunday (for juniors - vice versa for seniors) to readjust.

Depending on the teams I'm refereeing - because parts of our district are more league orientated, while other parts are more rugby oriented - I often add it to my pre-match.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Isn't SBP a boxer versed in assault?

If so shouldn't that be taken into consideration - particularly if he was/is a pro. - should he ever be cited? :sad:

No - totally irrelevant to a rugby disciplinary heqaring who are concerned with the specific incident in Law.

Danny Grewcock was a black belt in karate - so what, he got involved in handbags and brawls too.