Sports Personality of the Year

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
BCM66

The debate over whether darts is actually a sport is otiose in the face of Taylor’s brilliance, but given the danger, required fitness, lifestyle and unpredictability of horse racing the award should go to McCoy. The fact that his Grand National triumph was an event that captures the nation’s public and was on terrestrial TV may just be decisive.

Whatever your choice, focus on things that genuinely show sporting greatness and ignore the trivial.

hmm... I disagree ... Darts is not a sport .. it's a pastime ...
so few variables involved .....
I admire Phil Taylor's brilliance but ... why isnt a champion cribbager or stamp collector involved?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
hmm... I disagree ... Darts is not a sport .. it's a pastime ...
so few variables involved .....
I admire Phil Taylor's brilliance but ... why isnt a champion cribbager or stamp collector involved?

what's the difference between a sport and a pastime?

SimplySimon

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Personally in the absence of any Rugby players, the award should go to Mark Cavendish. He has consistantly excelled in his chosen sport and irritated the French in the process - definitely a Champion in my books :biggrin:

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I believe a pastime is anything you can do with a beer in one hand.:clap:

SimplySimon

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Personally in the absence of any Rugby players, the award should go to Mark Cavendish. He has consistantly excelled in his chosen sport and irritated the French in the process - definitely a Champion in my books :biggrin:

By irritate may I explain further - by winning the last stage of the Tour de France along the Champs Elysees, which traditionally the French love to win!!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I believe a pastime is anything you can do with a beer in one hand.:clap:

There was a well known Sunday league player in Sussex who could play with a pint in his hand and not spill a drop. Soccer.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
This demonstrates the dichotomy represented by Sports Personality of the Year Award. Very often, the best sportsmen have no personality - and the Personalities are not the best sportsmen (Know What I Mean, 'Arry?). If you are looking to reward top sportspeople, I'd agree with Cav but also nominate Tom Daley.

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
what's the difference between a sport and a pastime?

I believe that there is a taxation issue! Darts players fronted up at Parliament and said 'If our game is a past time it is not taxable' Darts then became a sport!!

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
My understanding is a sport your actions influence the other player, where as a pass time you play your self.ie snooker sport golf passtime.

Although I think OB's view has more than a ring of truth about it!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My understanding is a sport your actions influence the other player, where as a pass time you play your self.ie snooker sport golf passtime.

Although I think OB's view has more than a ring of truth about it!

So chess & cards = sport; swimming, diving, rowing, sailing, all track & field = pastime :chin:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I believe that there is a taxation issue! Darts players fronted up at Parliament and said 'If our game is a past time it is not taxable' Darts then became a sport!!
Apocryphal, I suspect. Tax law cares not whether income is derived from a pastime, a sport, a job, a career or a profession. It taxes your mother's state pension, the city wideboy's bonus (widely believed to be unearned), your building society interest and the community soccer referee's £20 match fee for doing a U.14 girls' game. it might do it differently based upon whether the income derives from an office or an employment, from land or from reffing, but it's all taxable.

Actually, I vaguely recall an early case in which the players argued that it was, in fact, a sport. If (dim) memory serves, that was in the context of it being allowed into pubs, at a time when games of chance were banned from pubs. A board was set up in the courtroom, and the landlord defeated all comers - proving that the game was one of skill rather than chance, and thus not banned from licensed premises.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
How about...............you have to change your footwear to play sport?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
How about...............you have to change your footwear to play sport?
That makes being a clown a sport - and running a marathon not a sport (since we all wear trainers anyway).

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Surely a pastime is something you do simply because you enjoy it - and that can include sport.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
That makes being a clown a sport - and running a marathon not a sport (since we all wear trainers anyway).

Speak for yourself peasant........stout pair of brown brogues for me :nono:

I think being a clown is more a lifestyle choice :chin:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That makes being a clown a sport -

Ah, yes, Derek Randall .... all makes sense now :D

Seriously, I loved DR (in a man to man kind of way).