Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Michael Hussey

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Personally I think that "sport" implies some element of energy expenditure being important - not simply burning calories at a resting rate, but the need to be physically "fit", and no, I don't care to define precisely what I mean by "fit".

But to me chess isn't a sport, golf is; darts isn't, cricket is. So the threshold isn't high...

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Personally I think that "sport" implies some element of energy expenditure being important - not simply burning calories at a resting rate, but the need to be physically "fit", and no, I don't care to define precisely what I mean by "fit".
I'm curious, but how do jockeys know what horse they are due to ride? Are they picked at random, or do the jockeys themselves pick and choose?

gwgs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I thought the horse owners employed a jockey? Really don't know.

And a sport surely is any game of skill that is played competitively (yes, I would include Poker tournaments). Or am I too generous?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
WordWeb Pro gives its own set of meanings, and summarises those from Chambers and the OED as follows:-

WordWeb Pro
1. An active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition
2. The occupation of athletes who compete for pay
3. (Maine colloquial) a temporary summer resident of Maine
4. A person known for the way she (or he) behaves when teased, defeated or subjected to trying circumstances
5. Someone who engages in sports
6. (biology) an organism that has characteristics resulting from chromosomal alteration
7. Verbal wit or mockery (often at another's expense but not to be taken seriously)

Chambers
1. Recreation
2. A pastime
3. Play
4. A game or activity, esp one involving physical exercise
5. A specific, esp outdoor, amusement, activity or recreation
6. Success in or pleasure from shooting, fishing, or the like
7. Amusement, fun, good-humoured mirth
8. Mockery, contemptuous mirth
9. An object of mockery, a laughing stock
10. A plaything (esp figurative)
11. Dalliance, amorous behaviour
12. A person of sportsmanlike character, a good fellow
13. A form of address, used esp between males (Aust and NZ)
14. An animal or plant that varies singularly and spontaneously from the normal type

OED
1. An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:
2. (sports) Brit. an occasion on which people compete in various athletic activities:
3. [mass noun] [usu. with adj.] success or pleasure derived from an activity such as hunting or fishing
4. [mass noun] dated entertainment; fun:
5. archaic a source of amusement or entertainment:

I think we can conclude that there is no one universally accepted meaning. For things like the Olympic Games (note: not Olympic Sports) it seems to be necessary to call yourself a sport so that you can attract funding. Hence such creations as Dance Sport.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm curious, but how do jockeys know what horse they are due to ride? Are they picked at random, or do the jockeys themselves pick and choose?

Big question - and it will vary a lot.

Most jockeys will have one or more contracted yards / trainer(s) they ride for. The Trainer at those yards will allocate the horses racing on a particular day / week to their contracted jockeys, depending on the race, needs of the horse, relationships established on the training gallops, etc.

In some cases it may be the owner(s) - that own the first rights to a jockey to ride their horse(s) but that is exceptional and restricted to guys like Sheik Mohamed and JP McMannus.

The value, and negotiated exclusivity, of rides will depend on the past performance and potential of that jockey. The top jockeys have agents that do all this for them.

Lower down the "food-chain" the jockey may be a freelancer, or a young starter trying to make a name of himself not yet attached to a yard or Trainer.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Personally I think that "sport" implies ... the need to be physically "fit ... chess isn't a sport, golf is;
Craig Stadler. 5'10", 250 lbs. That makes him the same height as, and 85 lbs heavier than, me - or to put it another way, he's obese. Yet he's managed to earn more than $10m prize money in his golfing career while being the same shape. Just as well you chose not to define exactly what you meant by "physically Fit"!

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think physically fit for purpose would be a better definition.

William Perry was 6'2" and 335lbs, making him the slightly taller than me, but a lot heavier.
He was fit for the job he did, which was a Defensive Lineman for the Chicago Bears.
He was better known as "The refridgerator".

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Anyone 5'10" carrying a load of 85lbs around an 18 hole golf course for a few hourss would require a dgree of strength and fitness, I never liked to carry more than about 40lbs on hike...

Likewise for the " 'fridge" if he can carry that much weight around and run with it and perform effectively then he is fitter than me... and most others.

Which why I very carefully defined what I did. Glad you approve, Dixie.