Spot McCaw

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What's so unusual about that???
Typical offside positioning for McCaw.

Had he got penalised...then that would have been unusual!

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think that was "the joke"

didds

Ah - but which number 7, scarcely bound onto the Aussie scrum, is he - the one in gold, or the one in black.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
just shows that the joke is all 7s cheat all the time

meanwhile gold LH is not straight and square, not gold 2. gold 20's bind isnt full arm on a 2nd row. Black LH is boring (which is probably why gold 2 is not S&S).

goodness knows what Black 20 is up to and whoever is behind the black scrum (possibly the ref?) appears to be morris dancing

didds

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
For once and always, yes McCaw will break the laws. Now show me a decent openside that doesn't.

A pic like that just shows how many players are doing something 'wrong' at any given moment. Now take a moving picture and you may possibly also see that the currently unbound yellow 20 was clearly unbound a frame beforehand which is why McCaw is able to unbind himself and move toward the ball. Once the yellow 20 unbound and played at the ball the scrum was over.

PS: not saying that is actually what happened, just saying that it could be the case and a single frame tells you nothing.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Ah - but which number 7, scarcely bound onto the Aussie scrum, is he - the one in gold, or the one in black.

The Material one !

Gold 7 is almost legal [LAWS][FONT=fs_blakeregular]in contact from hand to shoulder[/FONT][/LAWS] but as a general acceptability if the shoulder is in contact then thats normally sufficient for me.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I have to say Wow at the photo. I know a still doesn't show the whole story but:

On the NZ side only: There are 2 clear angles. LH, #4 and #8 at one angle, and the rest "straight". The scrum looks split.
LH - where is he, kissing the Aussie Hooker? What an angle. And his bind is to the Aussie Flankers arm - so he must have changed his bind after going in at the angle.
Hooker - from this photo - appears straight
TH - Not a long bind, arm is pulling on and possibly down. But generally okay
#4 - split from his fellow 2nd row. Followed his LH round. Not driving straight.
#5 - is driving on his hooker, not his prop. Indication of walking round, or looking to drive the scrum round ?
#20 - as bound as you would expect a SH to be in the scrum. Certainly not in a position to push.
#8 - Feet suggest he is walking round. Probably stay with his #4. Not in a position to add any weight to the FR.
#7 - enough said. His bind makes #20's appear to be full arm!

So you have 1 axis of LH, #4 and #8 and a 2nd axis of Hooker, TH, #5. Both flankers are not involved in the scrum to any meaningful push.

By contrast - the Aussies scrum, with the exception of the #7 - all their spines in a straight line. And this line includes the NZ Hooker, TH and #4.
The LH looks like his outside shoulder has dropped (See comment about NZ TH above for 1 possible reason), but his spine still straight.
Gold 8 is in a legal (but bad scrummaging) position - not on his prop, or protecting #20.
#20 is still bound, and reaching for ball.

For me - Richie is offside, but my main concern (and PK) would likely be against Black LH. His angle, his bind, he is causing teh scrum to split etc.

But it is just 1 still photo, and I didn't see the game, so no idea what was really happening!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
it's just a still, for all we know this was taken just as the whistle was blowing for a PK against RM.

galumay

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
it's just a still, for all we know this was taken just as the whistle was blowing for a PK against RM.

Possible, but his invisibility cloak doesnt slip often. ;P

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Don't forget the No8 has to pick up the ball before the scrum is ended;

(c) Hindmost player unbinds. The hindmost player in a scrum is the player whose feet are nearest the team’s own goal line. If the hindmost player unbinds from the scrum with the ball at that player’s feet and picks up the ball, the scrum ends.

Not sure if is No8 or flanker trying to reach for the ball still in the scrum whilst RM looks on (stranded, no bind -what offside?)

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

(c) Hindmost player unbinds. The hindmost player in a scrum is the player whose feet are nearest the team’s own goal line. If the hindmost player unbinds from the scrum with the ball at that player’s feet and picks up the ball, the scrum ends.

Not sure if is No8 or flanker trying to reach for the ball still in the scrum whilst RM looks on (stranded, no bind -what offside?)

Now where have I seen this debate before...
The opinions were far and wide!

I agree with you - space preservation.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

I think that's the SH in there trying to pick the ball up?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What are you guys going to have left to talk about after October?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And the next cheat that will follow him.....:pepper:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Off Topic!!!

Hey menace,
were you involved in any of the grand finals in the ACT last weekend?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Sadly Scotland's back row isn't good enough to merit discussion here