Standing Up in the Scrum

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Could someone please point out to me where in law it says a player cannot stand up in a scrum - damned if I can find it!
20.8(i) Lifting or forcing an opponent up. A front row player must not lift an opponent in the air,
or force an opponent upwards out of the scrum, either when the ball is being thrown in or afterwards. This is dangerous play.
....is not the same as standing up

Please help, because I hear constant references to it!

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
But I would suspect the good book does specify where his head should go. By standing up he is disrupting the legal scrum formation.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Is it not covered by:-

20.3(a) 2009 - I haven't got 2010 at work!!!

Binding by all front row players blah blah firmly and continuously from the start to the finish of the scrum.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Definitions at the start of Law 20 say that the props heads must interlock. The descriptions of FR binding are all presented on the assumption that this is the case, and the diagrams support this.

rubyref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So what do you look for to decide who's at fault? Did FR stand up or were they driven upwards?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
how about to add top the mix, all players must be in a pushing position? (and must be pushing!)

??

didds

haze222

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd agree with the binding comment. If you're stood up, how can you be fully bound, arm across body?

You'd not have to ping for someone standing up, you'd ping them for not being bound/disengaging. If they do it deliberately and the scrum goes down you can ping them for deliberately collapsing the scrum.

Or if not their fault, ping the player responsible for pushing them up.

There does not need to be a precise law on 'no standing'. If any of the cheeky spectators you've met demanded to know where the law states that their player can't stand up in a scrum thank god they are watching and not playing is all I can say!!

I used to play Hooker and if any of my props thought it was okay to stand up I think I'd run a mile and ask to play wing again! :-D

Hope that helps

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
i yellow carded a lucy for this on Sunday
my thought processes were thus:
lucy was about 6ft and quite chunky, obviously in the pre match brief i had asked him if he was STE, all ok.
the first time it happened i reset the scrum and took it as happenstance
the second time it happened i reset the scrum and took it as happenstance but spoke with the lucy and asked him not to stand up. I could see nothing wrong with what the tight head was doing - binding and body posn were ok.
All that happened in my mind was that lucy's pack went backwards and he stood up.
the third time it happened i reset the scrum and warned the lucy.
the fourth time it happened i penalised the lucy and spoke to his capt.
the fifth time it happened i penalised the lucy and spoke to his capt.
the sixth time it happened i yellow carded the lucy after speaking to his capt.

for me it was a safety issue ... and because his pack were going backwards he cheated ... which is silly really bec the other pack could only go forward maybe two steps before being pinged for 1.5m drive !!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
i yellow carded a lucy for this on Sunday ... which is silly really bec the other pack could only go forward maybe two steps before being pinged for 1.5m drive !!
What age group as this, Ex? Clearly junior - but I'd not be going to my pocket below U.16 - I think I'd call uncontested below that. As you mention - it's a safety issue.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
So what do you look for to decide who's at fault? Did FR stand up or were they driven upwards?
Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

i yellow carded a lucy for this on Sunday. my thought processes were thus: lucy was about 6ft and quite chunky ... and because his pack were going backwards he cheated ... which is silly really bec the other pack could only go forward maybe two steps before being pinged for 1.5m drive !!
But what was in it for them? I suspect he just could not take the pressure? :chin:

And being 6' myself and having played THP once, I can easily see how it could happen.

Last edited:

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
But what was in it for them? I suspect he just could not take the pressure? :chin:

basically, yes ... was uncomfortable so stood up.
What is in it for them? A reset and a second bite of the cherry ....

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
basically, yes ... was uncomfortable so stood up.
So in answer to Rubyrefs question it wasn't the opposition props fault by driving him upwards; the LHP just bottled it.

What is in it for them? A reset and a second bite of the cherry ....
He's stood up 5 times already. How many bites does he need? :D

Last edited: