Staying Alive!

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I really wish they'd enforce this in films and TV. The more people see it, the better.

I also hate when they "rescue" someone that has a pulse and is breathing and then still perform CPR. Unfortunately this is one of those things that needs practice and (I think) be mandatory training. The first time I had to do the Heimlich maneuver on someone was incredibly difficult as you really have to pull much harder than you think!

New guidance has been issued for CPR by non-trained people.

Here's a YouTube clip for people not able to view it.

Or you could learn it properly.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Except that isn't properly. Compressions first, not breaths.

The two rescue breaths were done away with years ago.

Yeah I know. That'll teach me to watch it properly. They've also added that you must request an ambulance and defibrillator. 5 rescue breaths for child or infant or drowning.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
I really wish they'd enforce this in films and TV. The more people see it, the better.

I also hate when they "rescue" someone that has a pulse and is breathing and then still perform CPR. Unfortunately this is one of those things that needs practice and (I think) be mandatory training. The first time I had to do the Heimlich maneuver on someone was incredibly difficult as you really have to pull much harder than you think!

I've got hospital life support training next week so I should be fine.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
as long as you have two things:
1. A hospital
2. A life support machine

:biggrin:

Must admit, I do like the fact that the majority of public buildings here have defibs.

I've got hospital life support training next week so I should be fine.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yeah I know. That'll teach me to watch it properly.

I did have to watch it VERY closely, several times :biggrin: :love:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
as long as you have two things:
1. A hospital
2. A life support machine

:biggrin:

Must admit, I do like the fact that the majority of public buildings here have defibs.

I'm a lifeguard so I'll be fine otherwise with CPR!

Obviously.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It's got a bit more coast than Warwickshire.

Robin Hood's Baywatch
Cayton Baywatch
Runswick Baywatch
Scarborough North Baywatch
Scarborough South Baywatch

etc.

You're not exactly selling it to me?

I've been to the seaside in Yorkshire. Smells of fish and there's no sun.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes

Was there actually a message in that video?

Regarding the 2 breaths, why was it done away with? I was always taught that gave the brain another three minutes of life, so was important? Was this advice just rubbish?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Regarding the 2 breaths, why was it done away with? I was always taught that gave the brain another three minutes of life, so was important? Was this advice just rubbish?

More qualified people on here will probably have more detail, but at my last 3 first aid courses we were told that you only do mouth to mouth if its a family member, or you have a mouth shield. Otherwise just do compressions. And its 30 compressions first, then two breaths if you can, repeat. No blood flow to the brain will kill it, so its no use puttting air inside them if the brain is already dead.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Can someone confirm that you're meant to do the compressions to a cadence close to some sort of "natural heart beat" and that ironically, like the title of this thread, the Beegees "Stayin' Alive" is actually pretty close based on the BPM.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes

The oxygenated blood is the key. It must get to the brain as quickly and as long as possible. The only way to do that is by pumping the heart. Studies have shown that people live longer when chest compresions are started first.
Regardles, the survival rates are really low. A 2007 study done in the UK showed that CPR done by bystanders led to a 4-6% survival rate. In hospitals, it is only 22% when witnessed. This is mainly because CPR is very inefficient, even when we are in hospitals and have medications available for Advanced Cardiac Life Saving. That and the fact that people have died for a reason.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes

Most people don't get the breaths done effectively enough for it to be useful. This means that precious time was wasted focusing on the breaths.

Can someone confirm that you're meant to do the compressions to a cadence close to some sort of "natural heart beat" and that ironically, like the title of this thread, the Beegees "Stayin' Alive" is actually pretty close based on the BPM.

At lifeguard training last month we were told to aim for 120 BPM as when aiming for the required 100 BPM most people didn't achieve it. As I'm sure you are aware 100 BPM is the outer limit of a normal resting HR.

There was a reason I chose the title. Nelly the elephant works just as effectively.

The oxygenated blood is the key. It must get to the brain as quickly and as long as possible. The only way to do that is by pumping the heart. Studies have shown that people live longer when chest compresions are started first.
Regardles, the survival rates are really low. A 2007 study done in the UK showed that CPR done by bystanders led to a 4-6% survival rate. In hospitals, it is only 22% when witnessed. This is mainly because CPR is very inefficient, even when we are in hospitals and have medications available for Advanced Cardiac Life Saving. That and the fact that people have died for a reason.

This emphasises why ringing for the ambulance is very important. Adults will almost definitely need the AED in order to survive.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
At lifeguard training last month we were told to aim for 120 BPM as when aiming for the required 100 BPM most people didn't achieve it. As I'm sure you are aware 100 BPM is the outer limit of a normal resting HR.

There was a reason I chose the title. Nelly the elephant works just as effectively.

Thanks for the credibility statement! Though I'm now questioning my own reasoning as to why I trust a foreigner across the other continent more than something I might have read in a magazine! Oh, the werid bond of Rugby Refs on the InterWeb!

I wasnt aware that there are those who had "resting" HRs approaching 100 BPM. That seems, well, really f**kin dangerous!

What is the BPM of this guy? :pepper:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks for the credibility statement! Though I'm now questioning my own reasoning as to why I trust a foreigner across the other continent more than something I might have read in a magazine! Oh, the werid bond of Rugby Refs on the InterWeb!

I wasnt aware that there are those who had "resting" HRs approaching 100 BPM. That seems, well, really f**kin dangerous!

What is the BPM of this guy? :pepper:

I was taught last year that a 'normal' resting HR is between 60 and 100 BPM.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I was taught last year that a 'normal' resting HR is between 60 and 100 BPM.
I found this table on-line :
Normal resting heart rate:
•Newborns (0-30 days old): 70 - 190 beats per minute
•Infants (1 - 11 months old): 80-120 beats per minute
•Children 1 to 10 years: 70 - 130 beats per minute
•Children over 10 and adults (including seniors): 60 - 100 beats per minute
•Well-trained athletes: 40 - 60 beats per minute

Source