Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Carlisle Rugby club pitches and Keswick rugby club pitches were completely submerged. Keswick's for the second time in 2 weeks.
the club houses didn't escape.
http://d2dzjyo4yc2sta.cloudfront.ne...1449310707_7698.jpg&w=732&h=732&t=square&q=20

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=51bb5f0dd9414a8bba64ce4a1b063386&oe=56F03A49
It does happen regularly but I guess doesn't make it any easier.

Don't think any games were played in Cumbria. Ironically my game the pitch was playable at Millom but poices advised against travel so it was sensibly called off.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Our boys played in Kinross succesfully now heading to Bradford

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Terrible scenes. Hopefully all stay safe.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Why the sudden urge to name storms? We're up to "D" already and they only started doing it a few weeks ago.

It's a storm. I don't want to make friends with it; I just want to shelter from it.

Complete waste of time. The people affected couldn't care less what it's called. Seriously, who the hell cares what it's called?

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Why the sudden urge to name storms? We're up to "D" already and they only started doing it a few weeks ago.

It's a storm. I don't want to make friends with it; I just want to shelter from it.

Complete waste of time. The people affected couldn't care less what it's called. Seriously, who the hell cares what it's called?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/34581210

This is interesting:

Strangely, research shows that hurricanes with female names are more likely to hurt more people than those with males names.
Scientists think that's because people find female names less threatening.

Last edited:

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Re : Re: Storm Desmond

Hurricane naming was formalised because there were many areas where more than one storm is forming at once, some of them are often quite similar and quite close to each other, and it helps people who are studying and tracking them to be able to refer to "Storm Alice" and "Storm Bob" instead of some feature of the storm itself that might be easily mistaken. Same reason as you make players wear numbers on their backs, so you can have a relatively foolproof way of telling the notorious Smith second-row twins apart.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

Its the next step of the Americanisation of our society.

That's not a dig at the USA - the Seppoes haven't forced this on us. Presumably somebody at the Met Office thought that now Hallowe'en and trick or treating, and Black Friday have become standard, its time for the next US concept to be adopted.

As for technical naming - what is wrong with 2015#1, 2015#2 if it just a way to seperate storms...

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
but what's wrong with naming? (shrug) seems pretty sensible to me, it's handy to name things.

probably a hundred years ago there were people saying 'I don't see why positions need to have names, all this hooker, lock, blind-side flanker, what's the point of it? it's not american football. If we want to distinguish the postions they all have numbers why not use them.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Finally, something gets named after me :biggrin:

I was led to believe that the vulgar name for female genitalia was named after you ... or maybe it was the other way around :shrug: :)

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Tropical storms, hurricanes, cyclones have been given names for many years. Remember Katrina and New Orleans. In the start only female names were used, more recently male and female names have been used. The use of a name means the storm can be easily identified when discussing the results of the storm etc.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I was led to believe that the vulgar name for female genitalia was named after you ... or maybe it was the other way around :shrug: :)

I was just thinking the same about you and male genitalia :shrug: :smile:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
The use of a name means the storm can be easily identified when discussing the results of the storm etc.
Which to an extent I can understand if you're working for the Met Office etc, but your average Joe Bloggs couldn't care less.

As for technical naming - what is wrong with 2015#1, 2015#2 if it just a way to seperate storms...
Exactly. If you need it for records (and the vast vast majority won't) a real name isn't needed - just a reference number will do.

I was going to suggest 2015/Dec etc but at the moment it would be something like 2015/2nd Dec, 2015/4th Dec, 2015/5th Dec because it seems never ending.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Exactly. If you need it for records (and the vast vast majority won't) a real name isn't needed - just a reference number will do.

This applies to people too. Number Six, for example. Or Black Seven, coming in from the side again. Although you'd need Black Seven/n now.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
watching the news today 2015/4 does look really bad.
It might even go down in history as England's 2005/11

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
There is a name for each letter of the alphabet, excluding Q, U, X, Y and Z. That's the same naming convention used in America.
There are dozens of boys and girls names starting with these letters too.
Why exclude them? Dumbing down for the masses? :shrug:

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Honestly I think it comes down to a weather channel thing. They need something to talk about so they name everything and that way they can do comparisons and historical analysis...