Stuck between a rock and a hard place!

big fish

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would appreciate everyones opinion on how they would have dealt with this.

Whilst watching a much higher graded Society colleague, I was cringing at some of the offences I could see from the sidelines that he was allowing to go unpunished. Half way through the second half a very vocal supporter of the home side started, very loudly, to question decisions and then proceeds to verge on down right abuse. I went and stood by the supporter and every time he made a comment I tried to justify the referees decision in order to shut up the supporter. Sometimes this was hard because some decisions were baffling to me on the sidelines.

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It depends on how well you know him, your and his personalities, and how good you are at tactfully putting across criticism as 'development' opportunities. What you might see as him missing stuff or baffling, could well be non material - maybe.

If in any doubt DON'T !

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
what ST says. Human nature being what it is even if he was getting stuff wrong, and was aware of it, he's unlikely to 'fess up to it.

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
How much higher graded?

Come to think of it, I don't know the grades of any Sussex refs aside from those on this forum.

Do societies normally publish gradings lists?

big fish

Referees in England
Post Likes
How much higher graded?

Come to think of it, I don't know the grades of any Sussex refs aside from those on this forum.

Do societies normally publish gradings lists?

East Mids dont, but I know that recently he has done at least 1 Level 6 and 2 level 7 GAMES

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
we do in the members area of our website. that's how i found out i'm a 15 :)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why would you mention it to him? If he was having a nightmare game, he will probably be aware of it, and probably resolving to leave it behind and move on. If he's not aware of it, having it pointed out by an inexperienced and lower graded ref will probably not convince him of his failings that day. If he's getting L.6&7 games regularly, his normal standard is higher; if it isn't, then his society is failing its clubs as well as its refs, and setting yourself against the society's quality assessment program won't endear you to anyone.

I suggest you let it pass. If an abberation, there's nothing that can be done about it. If not, it's a bigger problem than you can deal with by drawing it to his attention.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you're concerned there's an issue, mention it to John W - he'll arrange for a coaching visit or similar.

big fish

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you're concerned there's an issue, mention it to John W - he'll arrange for a coaching visit or similar.

Cheers for the advice Paul, but after receiving other advice, I think its probably me thats interpreting things wrong and missing out things such as materiality.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
You could of course, if he is open to it, simply discuss the way the game went with a view to picking his brains and educating yourself - and discuss some scenarios with him.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I would definitely discuss "the game" with him an try to put across what I thought I saw.
If he has anything about him he should be man enough to hear your opinion and discuss it with him.
Had a level 8 game last week and just knew I wasn't on the top of my game during it. No effect on result but wasn't happy with my own performance.
Had an experienced former ref running the line for me and was more than happy to discuss the game with him and listen to his advice over a pint or two and also discuss with both captains and teams how they thought i did.