[Law] Superbowl - advantage question.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think in the original scenario I would probably agree that the the team had made a choice, whilst advantage was being played, to drop the goal and that would probably be it. In the scenario where the kicker is fouled in the act of scoring I'm not so sure. Essentially the Captain may now feel that with 14 opposition players on the field (assuming a card had been produced for the offender) and the option to kick for the corner with the subsequent penalty the odds have changed and he may prefer to take his chances (possibly to boost bonus points).

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
This scenario happened in a Super Rugby game a few years ago.

The Waratahs were winning against somebody, but they needed to get a 4 try bonus point to have any hope of advancing.

The ref signalled for penalty advantage about 35 metres out and prop Matt Dunning thought he would have a pot at goal so that they would come back for the PK. Unfortunately the kick went over, much to the chagrin of his teammates and to the hilarity of everyone else.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Niw you mention it, I remember seeing it on the internet.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
"Can the team ask for the penalty?" Of course they can ask, but advantage in rugby is at the discretion of the ref, not the team. Don't forget that the freedom to choose the DG is a (concrete, tactical) part of the advantage.

In the case of the late charge, the advantage of restarting on a draw with a PK (and hence a shot at another 3 from a good kicker, or a lineout in the 22 to go for the try) would outweigh keeping the 3 point deficit and chance of a lineout a few metres closer to the tryline. If the try were that critical to the result, the team should have been going for it anyway; the best they could have been hoping for was to get the points and do something receiving the restart.

Also, what would you expect as a player? I'd definitely expect points on the board = advantage over.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I think in the original scenario I would probably agree that the the team had made a choice, whilst advantage was being played, to drop the goal and that would probably be it. In the scenario where the kicker is fouled in the act of scoring I'm not so sure. Essentially the Captain may now feel that with 14 opposition players on the field (assuming a card had been produced for the offender) and the option to kick for the corner with the subsequent penalty the odds have changed and he may prefer to take his chances (possibly to boost bonus points).

Especially because they may have kicked that drop goal from a long way out, and the PK is on the 5m line.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ball is dead; Game over- UNLESS the ref blew the whistle BEFORE the ball went between the posts.

that would be brave ref !

However equally the ball is only dead, and the game is over when the ref blows, so conceivably the ball could go through the posts and the ref could have a little think about what to do next ....

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This scenario happened in a Super Rugby game a few years ago.

The Waratahs were winning against somebody, but they needed to get a 4 try bonus point to have any hope of advancing.

The ref signalled for penalty advantage about 35 metres out and prop Matt Dunning thought he would have a pot at goal so that they would come back for the PK. Unfortunately the kick went over, much to the chagrin of his teammates and to the hilarity of everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAvMKkC1kjA

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I sat down to watch the super bowl deciding that this is it, I'm going to concentrate and understand this game.

Coin toss, "captain, you've won the toss, what would you like to do?" "We'd like to defer our decision". WTF???!!! :shrug:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Captain would you like to kick off or choose ends?
We'll receive Ref.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Captain would you like to kick off or choose ends?
We'll receive Ref.

Had that many times and sometimes if the opposing captain is quick enough and says "we'll kick off that way" I'll let him get away with it :)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Had that many times and sometimes if the opposing captain is quick enough and says "we'll kick off that way" I'll let him get away with it :)

Indeed, not enough clever wit in the game these days. Had a not straight throw:"captain, option?" "We'll take a penalty, sir". They kicked the winning 3 points from that one. All had a good laugh in the bar after.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Being new to the local community, I had been introduced to the players as being new.

Which they interpreted as being new t refereeing. So my first couple of matches were filled with players trying it on. Trying to take a penalty for a not straight, appeals for cards after two penalties, complaints that hookers may not strike on the opposition ball, and my personal favorite, a complaint when a defender almost intercepted the pass, knocking it back to his own goal line.

Silence reigned when I YCed a player for slapping the ball dead in-goal. "They said you were new sir" "I am, to Alice. I have been doing this for over 20 years".