tackled near the try line

Steve70

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Player gets tackled very near try line. Tries to reach out immediately and score but can't quite reach. Immediately then reaches back to present to his team-mates who have finally arrived. PK for handling on the ground? Or justified attempt? This happened to me, and I tried to reach out and score, realised I couldn't, so quickly rolled and place backwards. Sir didn't blow, one of the forwards picked and crashed over. Opposite number complained .... I kept my mouth shut....

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I think most refs would allow this as long as done quickly and there were no defenders on their feet trying to play the ball.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
By the letter of the law it's a penalty (15.1(c) and (g) - you must do something with the ball immediately, if you've tried to do one thing, the second thing definitely isn't immediate), but as Pinky says - if it didn't stop the opposition getting the ball it'd be harsh to blow for it.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The law does not give the tackled player the right to present the ball. Rather, (if he elects not to pass or get up) it requires him to release the ball immediately, and allows the tackled player to do this by reaching out in any direction.

This close to the goal line, these points matter (to the players) more than they would on half way. The would-be scorer (i.e. you) knew full well you were taking a chance on being able to reach the line. You also knew (I suspect) that once you'd elected to release the ball by placing it forward, you had no right to a second bite of the cherry. Thus you knew very well that by grabbing that second bite, you were acting illegally within a few inches of the goal line, as a result of which your team scored.

In my view, the ref bottled it (I'm pretty sure he knew it was wrong as well, but didn't dare to blow). If there was genuinely no-one else around to be inconvenienced, I bet you'd have released, got up and scored yourself. The fact that you didn't tells me that your action was material and should have been penalised. Refereeing is all about the confidence (and the knowledge) to make the tough calls; at the lower end a referee will often fail this test - but he shouldn't then moan if he doesn't get promoted.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
maybe the ref was taken by surprise, I've never really seen that happen.
much more common is the player brought down short of the line who then squirms/crawls the necessary few cm along the ground as he makes his reach. That's pretty easy to PK.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
The law does not give the tackled player the right to present the ball. Rather, (if he elects not to pass or get up) it requires him to release the ball immediately, and allows the tackled player to do this by reaching out in any direction.

15.5 (d) allows him to push the ball along the ground in any direction except forward. This I think would be regarded as presenting the ball to his own team.

I note what Dixie says, but I would still allow this assuming that the player was not denying the opposition (defenders) the chance to play the ball.