[Tackle] Tackling a player who drops a kick

shep

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Gif of the play in question here - http://gfycat.com/RewardingAcidicFinch

Black tackles a player who has dropped a kick backwards. This means white can't recover and the black player picks up the ball and runs through and scores the try.

It looks like play on but is black entitled to tackle a player without possession like that?

The deliberate-fumble-all-the-way up the field scenario for white doesn't seem like it applies because he's lost control - the ball has hot the ground (or is just about to) when he is tackled.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think that's play on.

As white goes for the catch black stands up a - he's conceding the catch and is going to tackle white once he has caught it.

when white fumbles seems to me black goes for the ball, but white is in the way, and the way it bounces white is even more in the way. I think black's left arm is trying to tap the ball back.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Agree with crossref; that's play on for me.

Black 14 is entitled to expect that White 14 will catch the ball. When he drops it, Black 14 didn't really have a chance to pull out of it.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
totally agree with the above. what else is black honestly to be expected to do - check and wait as white steps twice outside him and is gone?

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Black committed to the tackle, so agree with the above people.

Black scored the try because the black player reacted quicker than the white player after they both went to ground.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
yes white 14 relaxes for a half second.
plus ball pops out nicely for black

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Agree with above. White is also screening the ball from Black so not clear that he dropped it. Great reaction play by Black and teammates.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The defending players' reactions said it all. They just got on with it. Had similar on Saturday.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Fantastic chase by Blue 14 puts him into a position where he committed to the tackle as the ball came down. First class work. Having got there, he then had no option to pull out when White fumbled - indeed, initially he may not even have been aware that white did fumble. [controversial]Play on, as white was in possession even having dropped it.[/controversial]

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Against a fast defensive line, a player sells a dummy so effectively that the putative receiver gets tackled. Do you penalise the tackle? After all, it was in a sense what the attacker wanted/expected to happen.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
In the frame by frame, before the camera zooms in, the ball is initially moving 1 or 2 pixels to the right per frame, but in the last few frames this increases to 3 or 4 pixels per frame.

From a single camera angle it is impossible to be certain, but given that black 14 has his body close to the white defender, it looks very much like he knocked on while on the ground.

Quick thinking to pass the ball twice in scoring the try; black obviously know their TMO protocols.

galumay

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
In the frame by frame, before the camera zooms in, the ball is initially moving 1 or 2 pixels to the right per frame, but in the last few frames this increases to 3 or 4 pixels per frame.

From a single camera angle it is impossible to be certain, but given that black 14 has his body close to the white defender, it looks very much like he knocked on while on the ground.

Quick thinking to pass the ball twice in scoring the try; black obviously know their TMO protocols.

I thought exactly the same when i slowed it down and enlarged it. Pretty sure Black knocks the ball on after White has knocked it back. As you say - quick thinking, play to the whistle!