Tactical replacement cannot kick at goal !!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Ireland v New Zealand. ..about 65th minute.

Ireland awarded penalty and before the kick is taken Sexton leaves the game and is replaced.
Referee proceeds to check whether replacement is tactical or HIA stating that if it is tactical the replacement player cannot take the kick at goal.
It is determined that it is a HIA and replacement is allowed take the kick.

Am I missing something here....isn't this an error by the referee?

nhughes

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Wasn't the only confusing decision. In the first half NZ clearly knocks on so players stop playing for the scrum. He then awards a scrum to NZ because everyone stopped playing. Baffled me and the commentators.

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Wasn't the only confusing decision. In the first half NZ clearly knocks on so players stop playing for the scrum. He then awards a scrum to NZ because everyone stopped playing. Baffled me and the commentators.
I think the ref blew up because play stopped and he assumed there had been a knock-on. However, in consultation with the AR it was decided that there was no knock-on so play should restart with a scrum and the team in possession at the time of the 'not a knock-on' (i.e. ABs) should have the put in.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Ireland v New Zealand. ..about 65th minute.

Ireland awarded penalty and before the kick is taken Sexton leaves the game and is replaced.
Referee proceeds to check whether replacement is tactical or HIA stating that if it is tactical the replacement player cannot take the kick at goal.

Am I missing something here....isn't this an error by the referee?

This might be a pro game thing where they have HIA’s and it doesn’t apply to us, that said, I can’t find the bit about subs and taking kicks in the law book, which section is it, or has it gone?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Doesn’t that fly against the laws around taking a penalty or free kick?
[LAWS]20.6 Any player from the non-offending team may take it, other than for a free-kick awarded for a mark. [/LAWS]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is a competition specific thing
Some competitions have regulations about this

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

well FWIW it didnt look a clear knock on to me.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

and several minutes later the camera focusses on Sexton - with his knee encased in ice etc .

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This is a competition specific thing
Some competitions have regulations about this

Ah yes, good old reg 13 appendix 2 in RFU land -

"A Player who is a replacement shall not be entitled to take a kick at goal until a passage of play has taken place since that Player took to the field of play."

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Ah yes, the good old, "yes it's an HIA so the sub can take the kick".

Cut back to the bench 5 mins later and Sexton is sat there with ice on his knee :wink:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i think that it's actuallu irrelevant why sexton went off - a replacement is always allowed to take a kick.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/la...4-jrt-b3jw9bz4u1gnw0lj6zozuajwpjvnzd5lgmc4wca

Request
1. A penalty kick is awarded to White team. Before the kick is taken, can White team make a substitution? (If so, we assume that the substitute can take the penalty kick.)

2. A penalty kick is awarded to White team. Before the kick is taken can a previously sin-binned White player return; given that the 10 minutes have fully elapsed? (If so, we assume that the returning player may take the penalty kick.)
Ruling of the designated members of the Rugby Committee
A substitution can only be made when the ball is dead. A referee must not let a player rejoin the match until the ball is dead. The ball is dead when the ball is out of play. This happens when the ball has gone outside the playing area and remained there, or when the referee has blown the whistle to indicate a stoppage in play, or when a conversion kick has been taken.

In both cases outlined above, the ball is dead, and therefore the answer to each question is in the affirmative.

unless of course competition regs forbid it.

anyone got access to the Autumn internationals Comp Regs?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Assuming of course the ref allows the replacement before the kick is taken

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/clarification/2021/1/

I have often used 2-2007. This is an update. Which in my mind confuses the issue and leads to inconsistencies. I never like a situation where the ref says he can’t come on simply because ‘I say so’.

also once a team has said they ae kicking for posts, i can't see any reason at all why a ref should refuse a substitution.

Indeed it's perfect time for replacement to be done.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
OK, so out in the weeds, what's the answer? The sub can take the kick (World Rugby) or the sub can't take the kick (RFU regs). Anyone brave enough to say?

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
OK, so out in the weeds, what's the answer? The sub can take the kick (World Rugby) or the sub can't take the kick (RFU regs). Anyone brave enough to say?

Regulations take precedence over laws. Worldwide.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In RFU Land Regulation 13 covers this in cup and league competitions where rolling substitutions (interchanges) have been authorised.

[LAWS]Regulation 13
3. Rolling Substitutions

(h) A Player who is a replacement shall not be entitled to take a kick at goal until a passage of
play has taken place since that Player took to the field of play.[/LAWS]

Regulation 13 Rolling substitutions is the only place I have found this, but then I can't find copies of the Autumn International Regulations.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
even in RFUland: if (for instance) the kicker got taken out injured after a high tackle or other dangerous play - I think most refs would allow the replacement to take the PK, wouldn't we ?