[Law] Tap penalty to a runner clarifcation

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
the classic wall set piece is amongst some ideas... but the "running players" need to time their run from the wall not the tap clearly. I just wanted to clarify the situation wrt runners at the tap.

I was thinking of the over the head chip that ian linked to (based on my Hawera days) - but again the timing of the runs is imperative.

As it is I do have a couple of other ideas unrelated to runners - which i will be writing up for dan cotterell's Rugby Coach Weekly in due course for those that subscribe :)

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the classic wall set piece is amongst some ideas... but the "running players" need to time their run from the wall not the tap clearly. I just wanted to clarify the situation wrt runners at the tap.

I was thinking of the over the head chip that ian linked to (based on my Hawera days) - but again the timing of the runs is imperative.

As it is I do have a couple of other ideas unrelated to runners - which i will be writing up for dan cotterell's Rugby Coach Weekly in due course for those that subscribe :)

didds

or maybe work on the lineout???

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
That wall try is a great. There are a number of reasons you might find fault with it, but NOT because anyone was moving before the tap... As it's clearly NOT a *charge*

Chris_j

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Not least the NFL style off the ball blocking of defenders by the wall members to clear a huge hole through which the receiver ran!

Fatboy_Ginge

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Having had this last season I stopped the runner as he started about 10m back and was in full flow when he received the ball. I made them play the penalty again after I explained to both teams that their runners could start moving when the ball was played AND NOT BEFORE. They were happy and when I explained to the coaches as well at half time, they were happy as well.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Having had this last season I stopped the runner as he started about 10m back and was in full flow when he received the ball. I made them play the penalty again after I explained to both teams that their runners could start moving when the ball was played AND NOT BEFORE. They were happy and when I explained to the coaches as well at half time, they were happy as well.

..but happy or not, it's not really correct. The Law prohibits *charging* it doesn't prohibit moving.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
..but happy or not, it's not really correct. The Law prohibits *charging* it doesn't prohibit moving.

"in full flow" is probably charging

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
or maybe work on the lineout???

Of course - and that's occurring too. But if nothing else (and lineout aside) the useless and toothless FK in midfield would still be a valid scenario.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Not least the NFL style off the ball blocking of defenders by the wall members to clear a huge hole through which the receiver ran!

which defenders did they block from making a tackle in that clip? There's npot a single defender in the vicinity of the wall.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

it undoubtedly is.

But that isn't what FBG said to the teams and coaches.

"I explained to both teams that their runners could start moving when the ball was played AND NOT BEFORE."

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Yes, but Fatboy said

Having had this last season I stopped the runner as he started about 10m back and was in full flow when he received the ball..

that sounds perfectly correct

but this sounds too restrictive

I made them play the penalty again after I explained to both teams that their runners could start moving when the ball was played AND NOT BEFORE. They were happy and when I explained to the coaches as well at half time, they were happy as well.

for instance if various players are strolling around as the PK is taken, that's not a cavalry charge.

Chris_j

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
which defenders did they block from making a tackle in that clip? There's npot a single defender in the vicinity of the wall.

didds
Of course not, they started 10m back. But the right hand wall player was the only one not to play the ball and he ran straight out and played a defender without the ball, wrapping him, creating the gap.