the barnsey and hollywood roadshow

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
wayne and steve walsh are presenting (and q & a ) at london meet on thursday -any q's for the boys??
obvious one being if WB agrees that if he "had had the luxury of attending the disciplinary panel" and "replaying,reviewing,analysing and dissecting,with unlimited time" all the dvds in slomo he "may welll have come to a different conclusion" other than to penalise and yc ferris?
or indeed should he just have lreported yc as a 10.4 (e) offence (i.e. not a tip but dangerous enough to me to warrant a yc )
afterwards we are off for a curry where am sure there will be some stellas and full and frank discussion but unfortunately probably not for public record.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I went to a similar session last week (Barnsey is busy lad, I have seen him twice since rwc)

I asked him same .. He said
.. Obviously Davies should have had a RC, but Pearson didn't really see it properly
.. He was very happy with his YC for ferris

I hadn't seen the ferris report last week, so didn't ask him what he thought of it. ..

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Has Steve Walsh actually stopped drinking and groping people, or is he now just doing it on the down low?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Has Steve Walsh actually stopped drinking and groping people, or is he now just doing it on the down low?

Ooooh, you still haven't got over "that Ben Blair try" in the 7th minute of injury time back in 2001, have you!!

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Don't bring that up again. I was eleven then and I still remember how gutted I felt!

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Try being a Scotland supporter! :noyc::noyc:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
any q's for the boys??

Ask WB what the hell was going on between him and Takudzwa Ngwenya in the Italy v USA match in Nelson during the RWC.

The USA were on defence in their own 22 at the south end of the ground, and the two of them were waving arms about and making hand signals at each other for about a minute. They looked like a pair of Sea Scouts practicing their semaphore!!

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
constantine- he's never groped me!! i think the latter (groping) may have flowed from the former- think he is no longer on the wagon but trying to be moderate ( am guessing mineral water and a "glass" of larger with our curry)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
And the way to sobriety lies in a night out with Barnsey :eek:

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Can you ask Steve about the 2 YCs in the Tonga v France RWC match, and why he looked at the video screen to confirm a YC decision (Dave Pearson was once again AR this time) according to the Judicial Report? Might want to follow-up with "What the hell were you thinking in using the replays at the ground to confirm a yellow card?", and even with the replays, why didnt you think it was a Red Card (both Yellow Card decisions results in bans for the players; the JO felt the referee was wrong on both occassions).

My question really isnt about the decisions themselves, but how easy / difficult it is to look up at the big screen for a bit of..."further re-enforcement of a referee's decision making process" :biggrin:

The other questions:
"How did this world cup's team of officials and the way they worked together differ from previous ones, where there were more referees?"
"When was it clear that Craig was going to referee the final? When was it clear that you weren't?"
"What was the most useless piece of free kit/gear you got at the RWC? What was the coolest piece of gear/kit?"

Questions not to ask:
"Steve, now that you spend a lot of time sober, have your standards in women increased?"
"Wayne, what was it like in the post-RWC stages waiting around for 3 weeks for one 3rd place match?"

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Steve is my hero! Any chance of a signed picture? I'm not joking btw! Also, I'd love to know exactly how friendly he got with Katherine Jenkins ;)

As for Barnesy, does he have any advice on pupillage applications? :D

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
How about a picture with them both in your RRF hat?

aqeel

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
As for Barnesy, does he have any advice on pupillage applications? :D

I'm reliably informed that in his case the interview covered little other than Rugby.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
As for Barnesy, does he have any advice on pupillage applications?
When I was reading Law many years ago, the advice was "DON'T! If you think there is nothing else in the world you want to do, then THINK AGAIN!" It's expensive, dog eat dog, and you may never get anywhere.HTH :biggrin:

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
pupillage - in wb's case find a rugby mate/mentor who just happens to know lots of busy criminal solicitors (including his eastendboy made good namesake) get them all to become drinking buddies -arrange to bump into clerk and senoir of chambers they give most of their biz to at favouite watering hole- make sure they see what a bright, good lad he is and how willing one would be to instruct him -actually rugby didn't feature too much at all.....

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
bryan- you trying to get me thumped.......actually as yc/discipline will come up will venture the rwc ones but probably in the pub....

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
again robbie -will require a childref with a smartphone -or jean b- but she won't go as finds our meets full of oldfarts/hotair

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Is Cody going?

I'm sure there will be a few. You are a minority these days (Though i realise that may still not be the case at Central meetings).

(Or you could just take a camera and ask someone to take the picture for you). ;)

Last edited:

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
ask Steve what he felt like when the Diamond "interview" was first published. Some pretty disgusting things were put into that piece of "journalism"

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
ask Steve what he felt like when the Diamond "interview" was first published. Some pretty disgusting things were put into that piece of "journalism"

Whats this??