The Gate is dead! Long live the Gate!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Anyone watching the Black Ferns v Wallaroos match will have their answer.

46th minute: Gold PK for side entry (clearly from her own side of the tackle but an an angle of about 45°)

REFEREE: "Side Entry: Go through the gate!"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

46th minute: Gold PK for side entry (clearly from her own side of the tackle but an an angle of about 45°)

I am not sure what is the claim you make

If you say the diagram represents the letter of the Law - I'd say 'Law Reference please', as I don't think it does - the letter of the Law says 'from the direction of the player's own goal line and is far more relaxed than that diagram.

IF you say the diagram represents how we ref the tackle in practice I'd say : no one would penalise green for coming in on the bottom right arrow, would they?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have seen defenders walk in from almost 90 degrees (in front of the back foot too) to loosely bind on as guards to protect the 9 in Elite games, it’s always looked wrong to me and not been pinged, if attackers did the same it would be the easiest pen in the world, so defenders do seem to get more leeway

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's an unusual usage of the terms attacker and defender ! Opposite to how I would normally use them

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have seen attackers walk in from almost 90 degrees (in front of the back foot too) to loosely bind on as guards to protect the 9 in Elite games, it’s always looked wrong to me and not been pinged, defenders did the same it would be the easiest pen in the world, so defenders do seem to get more leeway

edited quote to reflect lack of caffeine

- - - Updated - - -

That's an unusual usage of the terms attacker and defender ! Opposite to how I would normally use them

Bugger, teach me to post whilst half asleep!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It kind of made sense though , I can see how the tackling team are in a sense attacking the ruck that forms

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

One match, one instance in a far away land (from the US) but does WR know this?. I really think we should formally acknowledge 'the gate' in the Laws and diagram and document it.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have seen defenders walk in from almost 90 degrees (in front of the back foot too) to loosely bind on as guards to protect the 9 in Elite games, it’s always looked wrong to me and not been pinged, if attackers did the same it would be the easiest pen in the world, so defenders do seem to get more leeway

Yes but it should be pinged. They generally join in front of the back foot, not through the gate, and are not bound. Offside and potential obstruction in my book.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yes but it should be pinged. They generally join in front of the back foot, not through the gate, and are not bound. Offside and potential obstruction in my book.

I agree, and i’ve warned off players who do similar in my games before now

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So , in Ian's diagram, who would penalise green for approaching on the bottom right red arrow ?
Anyone ?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
So , in Ian's diagram, who would penalise green for approaching on the bottom right red arrow ?
Anyone ?

If I saw it, mebbe.

I had an easy one on Saturday. White gets tackled. White support, who is standing to the left of the tackle and perfectly level with it, simply stands still on his left foot and swings his right foot over the tackle.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
If I saw it, mebbe.

I had an easy one on Saturday. White gets tackled. White support, who is standing to the left of the tackle and perfectly level with it, simply stands still on his left foot and swings his right foot over the tackle.

I've been pinged for this. It's surprisingly easy when you're exhausted, but I was awake enough to cringe as soon as I heard the whistle.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've been pinged for this. It's surprisingly easy when you're exhausted, but I was awake enough to cringe as soon as I heard the whistle.

At least you cringed, the usual reaction is lots of moaning, groaning, hand waving, grumbling and general dissent :smile:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Anyone ?

I would.

A player approaching along that line is not approaching from the direction of his own goal line.

In the 2017 Laws it says "directly behind the ball". OB advises "there have been NO LAW CHANGES", so that still applies.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree that the diagram represents the letter of the 2017 Law ... But I don't think thats the way the game is reffed in practice the last few seasons .. almost all refs would allow it.