The Grauniad takes aim at concussions

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Part one:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...schoolboy-ben-robinson-concussion-rugby-union

On 29 January 2011, 14-year-old Ben Robinson played rugby union for his school. After being treated three times for blows to the head and sent back to the field on each occasion, he collapsed and later died in hospital. Behind his profoundly tragic story is another of a sport in denial, where authorities at all levels dither over treating concussion while all the time, players grow stronger, heavier and the hits get ever bigger

They're going all-in on this one, it looks like.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
more in depth reporting i see.

"a sport in denial, where authorities at all levels dither over treating concussion"

from my perspective that's total and utter bollocks.

Or as this is the guardian, "Boixxllq"

didds

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is part one of three, and that's just the blurb. The claim is expanded upon in the article.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What an incredibly sad story - regardless of who, what and why is to 'blame'. Having a 15 year old son that used to play (now referees as he feels he's too small up against the huge Pacific Islanders his own age to be able to compete), this story pulled at my heart strings.

Sadly down here there is still apathy about head injuries and keep players out on the field, and I would hazard a guess that less than half would know about the SCAT. I know in the junior club I was previously involved, that we had a RN as our first aid coordinator and a GP on our committee, and both were working hard to spread the message about concussion by making the SCAT available on our website and trying to educate team first aiders and coaches with presentations etc. problem was many were not attending the sessions.

I've probably have been guilty, as a referee, for allowing those highly qualified first aiders I know send players back out when I was unsure if the player was ok. I think I have possibly trusted them too much in the past? I think now after reading that story that if I am just a little suspect of the junior players status Ill send them off for a proper check by a GP.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Well I know what side of the fence im on, if I have any doubts over a player after a head injury, i will not let him/her continue end of story.

Id much prefer to be the boll ix that cost the u16s a final than to be in the above situation.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
didds:260925 said:
more in depth reporting i see.

"a sport in denial, where authorities at all levels dither over treating concussion"

from my perspective that's total and utter bollocks.

Or as this is the guardian, "Boixxllq"

didds

I think you are being complacent, Didds, it is an issue and top level rugby is not setting a good example

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That story is heart-breaking. I can't even fathom how his family must feel. Sure, everyone knows there's a tiny element of risk involved, but you don't actually expect your son to go to a game and not come home ever again.

In my first year of refereeing I was running the line for an U18 final, and after receiving a shoulder charge to the head, the player dropped to the ground and began convulsing for at least 15 seconds, maybe more. It seemed like an eternity. Not knowing much about head injuries, it scared the living daylights out of me. It's one of the few moments of my four years of refereeing that I can remember clearly. Thankfully since then I haven't witnessed any major head/neck injuries. Here's hoping that continues.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have had made two boys leave the pitch because I suspected the concussion.

On one occasion there was no issue, I was just the first person to vocalise that he needed to leave, coach agreed with me and off he went.

The other occasion was quite worrying, I had to be very firm to overcome coach and First aider and player himself.
once the player had left the pitch it turned out they had no sub left and had to play with 14, hence no doubt the desire to keep him on the pitch. They were still glaring at me from sidelines and the player bouncing up and down to show how fit he was.

It gave me no comfort that ten minutes later the player was sitting on the ground motionless with head in his hands, shivering and looking dreadful, and five minutes after that he was being taken to a car and driven off.

. That boy had concussion clear as day, would have failed any checklist, but they would have played him

Last season in a game my son was playing in, u16, I saw a boy concussed and again the coach and First aider let him play on. After about five minutes it was his u16 team mates, really worried about him, who overrode their coach and made him leave the pitch.

I def think there are people in out game who don't take this seriously enough.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think you are being complacent, Didds, it is an issue and top level rugby is not setting a good example

once again we are in the realms of the entire sport being represented by < 1% of its populace. I don't give a flying toss what the elites do - they make their own game up as they go along and are as removed from the community game as its equivalents in football (aka soccer) are now.

I have an issue with a report that glibly suggests ours is a sport that doesn't take concussion seriously, when its clear to me that the RFU [1] at community levels, and individual clubs DO take this seriously. Anyone with a RF email contact (CCC, chairmen etc) have been inundated in recent weeks with concussion advice and websites etc to read - hardly the act of a NGB that isn't interested and are dithering.

And of course we once again enter the unfortunate scenario of schools, who have their own agendas and as we have often discussed seem to be outside of any RFU influences.

I appreciate this was in NI and under the remit - or not? - of the IRFU.

But the sublime piece of journalism so disappointingly provided by the Guardian *who personally and obviously naively I would expect more of) doesn't appear to be interested in the realities, and is more "human interest" with all the trowelled on drivel about a silent house.

didds

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Each and every day, journalism is becoming more and more about selling subscriptions, and less and less about reporting the truth.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
once again we are in the realms of the entire sport being represented by < 1% of its populace. I don't give a flying toss what the elites do - they make their own game up as they go along and are as removed from the community game as its equivalents in football (aka soccer) are now.

I have an issue with a report that glibly suggests ours is a sport that doesn't take concussion seriously, when its clear to me that the RFU [1] at community levels, and individual clubs DO take this seriously. Anyone with a RF email contact (CCC, chairmen etc) have been inundated in recent weeks with concussion advice and websites etc to read - hardly the act of a NGB that isn't interested and are dithering.

And of course we once again enter the unfortunate scenario of schools, who have their own agendas and as we have often discussed seem to be outside of any RFU influences.

The report answers that; the referee was an IRFU trained referee, although I can't see that it's clear they appointed him to this game. It makes clear that the referee had no idea that SCAT existed. It points out that the SCAT card available from the IRB website is 4 years out of date.

But the sublime piece of journalism so disappointingly provided by the Guardian *who personally and obviously naively I would expect more of) doesn't appear to be interested in the realities, and is more "human interest" with all the trowelled on drivel about a silent house.

didds

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

didds

Didds,

Sometimes if the shoe fits, we need to wear it. You and your club, or even your entire society may take it seriously and so I can see why the attack would make you a little defensive. But the reality is IMO that, worldwide rugby is not taking the concussion as serious as they should so it does somewhat deserve to be criticised. Putting a few documents up on a website doesn't make for a good information and 'enforcement' program for the grassroots level. For instance, in Aus, every coach and match official is required to do a 3-4 hour 'Smart rugby' course (to go through safety and basic techniques in rugby). You must attend a course every 2 years, and every year in between you update your quals on-line through a presentation and 'test'. As of 2 years ago when I last did the face to face presentation it had no content on the concussion protocols or SCAT and I don't recall anything in the online test either. That to me speaks volumes of the lack of importance ARU are placing on it.

I think the article serves as a great means for parents and coaches and officials to take notice by getting rugby to have a look at itself. If it makes rugby unions feel a little uncomfortable then so be it, because if it saves at least one kids from not suffering the same fate then that has to be a good thing.

Furthermore, I suspect if you lost a child to a situation that should have been avoided then I'm sure you wouldn't think it was drivel that any means/words to enact change were used?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Here is another short video article in concussion at grassroots level in NZ. It appeared on "Seven Sharp" a nightly current affair on TV.

Great work here by Dr Doug King, doing real research to get real answers. His work is taken seriously by the NRL.