The New Touch Definition. Help Please.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agree and I think this is a shame. I always appreciated the speed of thought and accuracy of execution required to successfully pull off this action. It was one of the 'quirks' of our game that I liked.

I agree ! And especially fun when immediately followed by a very swiftly taken QTI or dropout as appropriate

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Of course at pro level they use a new ball every time anyway. It probably doesn't occur to WR that in the community game someone has to go and fetch the ball

I often wonder if WR consider the impact of any changes at grassroots level; it does appear to he fixated with the elite end of the game. TBH the new one man ruck is a total and utter OTT knee jerk reaction to the Italian tactic. And if CR's theory about "don't like the look of that chap with that exaggerated leg stride to win the lineout " is right (sounds not beyonds the realms of possibility to me!) its another knee jerk reaction.

didds

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Sorry i replied to a post , but struggled with wording ,,ill try later

Last edited:

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This is EXACTLY what I told my u16s. And in our particular locality we have balls leaving the field of play and bouncing over fences, into a stream or into the long grass. So it will almost certainly mean more dead time and less ball in play time.

Modern Law changes rarely consider such 'grass roots' inconveniences , I often call time off when the ball disappears into the undergrowth or nearest stream - never had anyone object.

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Agree and I think this is a shame. I always appreciated the speed of thought and accuracy of execution required to successfully pull off this action. It was one of the 'quirks' of our game that I liked.

& I equally disliked, as did I when I saw the end of game 'running of the ball off the pitch' or 'running toward own goal line & booting dead behind own posts'. Who invented those crass developments, some creative pro coach probably!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Modern Law changes rarely consider such 'grass roots' inconveniences , I often call time off when the ball disappears into the undergrowth or nearest stream - never had anyone object.

Of course. But whilst not losing playing time is one thing, it ins;t really surely what "keeping the ball in play" is about as is alleged to be the reasoning behind these changes. The two are totally different.

didds

- - - Updated - - -

& I equally disliked, as did I when I saw the end of game 'running of the ball off the pitch' or 'running toward own goal line & booting dead behind own posts'. Who invented those crass developments, some creative pro coach probably!

so what do you suggest to end the game when in front by possibly one point? Deliberately knocking on? Now THERE'S an improvement! :)

didds

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Didds at grass roots you may be too cautious .. the thrust of the presentations I have seen is to give the benefit of the doubt to the catcher .. what they are trying to stop is the ball that is clearly in field being taken out by a catcher who then would get the throw
For balls that are caught pretty much on the plane , kicked out

This is what I hope is the pragmatic response from referees who, without the benefit of an appointed AR, cannot possibly make an accurate assessment of whether the ball has touched the plane.

This judgement should suit the kicker who wanted the ball in touch and the catcher who can prevent the ball from going to touch by either reaching out from the FoP or jumping from the FoP and knocking it back in.

There is one situation that I'm now not sure of: If a player is standing with one leg in touch and the ball strikes the other leg in the FoP is the ball in touch and, if so, who put it there?

Actually I know the answer, just didn't think of it before I hit 'post'.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If a player is standing with one leg in touch and the ball strikes the other leg in the FoP is the ball in touch
Many years ago I was given a small booklet by HF Ellis called "Why the whistle went". It had illustrations by Fougasse (well-known to Punch readers) one of which showed a player running down the touchline carefully dribbling the ball so that it stayed in the field of play even if his feet didn't.

It is in the middle of this collection
https://ehive.com/collections/3888/objects/78652/cartoons-from-why-the-whistle-went