The opposite of a header??

JSAK

Referee, Old Boy, youth coach in Alaska
Post Likes
This situation is similar to a question that was posed by TheBFG a couple of weeks ago, but rather than being accused of jacking that thread, I though I’d begin a new one. So, the “recipient” is clearly offsides, but is he playing the ball? I have only seen the clip, not the actual game, so I have no idea what the ref did with this > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA0nT9fO01I&feature=player_embedded

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
After allowing time for advantage the referee applied Law 11.6(a) and awarded a scrum to White.

[LAWS]11.6 Accidental offside
(a) When an offside player cannot avoid being touched by the ball or by a team-mate carrying it, the player is accidentally offside. If the player’s team gains no advantage from this, play continues. If the player’s team gains an advantage, a scrum is formed with the opposing team throwing in the ball.[/LAWS]

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
accidental offside, scrum white clearly.

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
[LAWS]If the player’s team gains no advantage from this, play continues.[/LAWS]

The only problematic issue may arise from this statement. Let's say, in the OP sceanrio, that ball had gone into in-goal where it was then knocked on by White in the act of scoring a try. Blue have gained no advantage from the accidental offside, so what would the restart be?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
surely the scrum was the wrong call, and play should have continued

[LAWS]1.6 Accidental offside
(a) When an offside player cannot avoid being touched by the ball or by a team-mate carrying it, the player is accidentally offside. If the player’s team gains no advantage from this, play continues. If the player’s team gains an advantage, a scrum is formed with the opposing team throwing in the ball.[/LAWS]

blue gained no advantage, so play on.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
That's a fair call CR - I'd forgoten its only a scrum if advantage has been gained. In the OP's video it would be very hard to claim that that was the case!

in Dickie E's scenario presumably a 5m scrum blue. Although we are now into the same territory as that other thread so maybe the answer here is "whatever sanction/decision the referee decides for a white KO in-goal following a defending side player putting the ball there". ;-)

didds

Last edited:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
My thoughts in the cold light of computer - rather than the heat of play:

Try not to blow immediately - which I know I am prone to do.
Try to call "accidental offside" so players are aware I have seen it. I may call "playing advantage" even though it is not. An assessor could then pick me up on this.

If white knock on in the act of gathering the loose ball - they have no advantage.
In practice I would probably go back for the first offence and fail to realise until after the game that perhaps I shouldn't.
Although White have no advantage, neither really have blue as had it not hit the player they would be down field already.

If white gather the loose ball, they have definitely gained advantage, Blue certainly haven't.
I would call "advantage over" - even though we were not strictly playing advantage.
If they then drop it over the line - scrum blue and they were warned.

In short I would almost certainly have got that wrong.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i think that when there is an accidental offside you have to make a call straight away (ie within a couple of seconds say)

it's either - "PLAY ON (no adv gained from it)" or PEEP.

it's similar to ball hitting the ref -- you have a make an immediate call of scrum v play on, there's no waiting to see what develops.