Thoughts on ELV 13: The corner posts

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Why is this more ridiculous than, for example, kicking the ball and if it comes to rest 1" from the touchline it's in play, but if it comes to rest touching the line it is not?

Why are you all ignoring what the law plainly states?

. . . except when the ball is grounded against the post, ie. hand contact.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Why do you consistently mis-quote the Laws?

.......and the player presses down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes

Sorry, Phil!:bday:

. . . except when the ball is grounded against the post, ie. hand contact or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.

But does the last player who touched it get the benefit?

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
There's no requirement for "control" in scoring. That's Rugby League.

Ouch, burn :wow:

I meant you have to regain control of the ball before it hits the ground for it not to be a knock-on.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The problem with the knock-on into goal is that the definition of a knock-on includes the bit about the ball touching the ground. Therefore it is not a knock-on until it does so.

If a player grounds the ball at the instant it touches the ground, or puts a hand on it to push it down on to the ground, some might argue that he had scored a try rather than knocking-on.

I think that would never occur to any referee other than in a theoretical argument on a forum. Any referee who made such a decision on the field would probably get lynched. The player quite clearly has not caught the ball, as required by Law 12 if it is not to be a knock-on.

Personally I think this shows up yet again that the knock-on law is flawed.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
If a player grounds the ball at the instant it touches the ground, or puts a hand on it to push it down on to the ground, some might argue that he had scored a try rather than knocking-on.

If a player puts a hand on it to push it down on to the ground? A try!

If a player grounds the ball at the instant it touches the ground?

With the benefit of slo-mo what would/should a TMO give?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Did I not make my views clear?

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Did I not make my views clear?

Originally Posted by OB..

The player quite clearly has not caught the ball, as required by Law 12 if it is not to be a knock-on.

Sorry, OB, you confused me with the ' . . some might argue that he had scored a try rather than knocking-on.'

I looked up the relevent law, A knock on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward . . . and the ball touches the ground . . . before the original player can catch it. and think I've got it right this time?

If the player doesn't regain possession of the ball and puts a hand on it to push it down on to the ground. No try!

If the player doesn't regain possession of the ball and grounds the ball at the instant it touches the ground. No try!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Originally Posted by OB..
I think that would never occur to any referee other than in a theoretical argument on a forum. Any referee who made such a decision on the field would probably get lynched.
The player quite clearly has not caught the ball, as required by Law 12 if it is not to be a knock-on.

Sorry, OB, you confused me with the ' . . some might argue that he had scored a try rather than knocking-on.'
I have reinstated the sentence you omitted, since I thought it was a dead giveaway.

If the player doesn't regain possession of the ball and puts a hand on it to push it down on to the ground. No try!

If the player doesn't regain possession of the ball and grounds the ball at the instant it touches the ground. No try!
Correct.