Time & awarding tries

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
This weekends rugby threw up a couple of questions I'm hoping you can answer;

Under 16 game. Blue player collapses in a heap away from play. This is a medical issue (not rugby caused) and ambulance is called. Referee comes to Red captain and explains the clock cannot be stopped due to child protection as only allowed to play a set amount of time.

(Thankfully player is fine and was discharged from hospital later).

Is this right?

Secondly having moved pitch to play the final few minutes Blue ran a move which resulted in looking like they had crossed the try line and grounded the ball. Ref awarded try and indicated the position for the conversion. Much 'noise' from players and TJ (not appointed) and referee changes decision to award 'held-up' and no time. Game over.

Is this right?

Thanks

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... Under 16 game. Blue player collapses in a heap away from play. This is a medical issue (not rugby caused) and ambulance is called. Referee comes to Red captain and explains the clock cannot be stopped due to child protection as only allowed to play a set amount of time. ... Is this right?
I would have done it differently, because this is how I understand it.

You can stop the clock for an injury - IIRC the LoTG say "playing time". What you can't do is add on extra playing time. So if it's say a cup game and the scores are level, you can't play an extra 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Under 16 game. Blue player collapses in a heap away from play. This is a medical issue (not rugby caused) and ambulance is called. Referee comes to Red captain and explains the clock cannot be stopped due to child protection as only allowed to play a set amount of time.

Is this right?

Secondly having moved pitch to play the final few minutes Blue ran a move which resulted in looking like they had crossed the try line and grounded the ball. Ref awarded try and indicated the position for the conversion. Much 'noise' from players and TJ (not appointed) and referee changes decision to award 'held-up' and no time. Game over.

Is this right?

Thanks

My understanding was it's 70 mins (at U16) playing time - not 10 minutes playing plus 60 minutes waiting for the ambulance and treatment or whatever. Surely the child protection issue is injury from fatigue from "playing" too long not from boredom. Obviously there may be a desire to shorten a game by mutual consent. Have I been wrong all these years?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the ref is wrong.
I think where it came from is - I do recall some mini tournaments when the organisers specified no injury time. This was for practial reasons - they were scheduling 5 games an hour on each pitch, ans would rather have games abandoned then the whole festival get behind,

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Is this right?

Is this right?

Thanks

Yes you stop the clock for U13 up to U18 15 a side contact rugby. As Taff says, for U18s there is a maxiumum of PLAYING time (35, 30, 25 minutes etc each half) and the refereee stops the watch for long injuries, lost balls, etc. So you do play INJURY OR STOPPAGE time. What you cannot play is an EXTRA time in for example Cup Mathes id there is a draw. Urban Myth # 37 :biggrin:

Referee should not have changed his mind AFTER he had made his decision. if there had been any doubt the best proceedure is to check re foot in touch 9for unappointed TJ, or held up etc (for appointed AR) under Law 6.A.5 and if appointed a TMO under 6.A.6 and then make his decision.

In this case at U16 level he may well have got it wrong, realised it and changed the decision on grounds of equity, but incorrect in Law.

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think it depends on the local rules of the competition. In the local comps here, juniors play a set time with no time off for injury and/or other stoppages. This is mainly due to the number of games on a ground in a day, so that the last game may have to get stopped due to not enough light. Rather than impacting on what is potentially the biggest game of the day, they simply set a time limit (based on actual time) at which you have to call the game.

In senior grades they often set the time of the game as in 80 minutes, plus up to 10 minutes for injury time, with the game to end at XX:XX pm. Again this is to ensure that the 1st grade game is not impacted as a result.

Most of this resulted from refs playing injury time and refusing to shorten games. In one particular case this resulted in the 1st grade game having to be abandoned as not enough light remained to complete the game and the lights at the ground, while sufficient for training, were not deemed sufficient for a game.

Still happens a lot though as no ref wants to call a game early.... but do you really want to play the full time for the U10's at the expense of the 1st XV?

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
My understanding was it's 70 mins (at U16) playing time - not 10 minutes playing plus 60 minutes waiting for the ambulance and treatment or whatever. Surely the child protection issue is injury from fatigue from "playing" too long not from boredom. Obviously there may be a desire to shorten a game by mutual consent. Have I been wrong all these years?

Your understanding is correct. However there is a significant number of people in South Yorkshire who believe that the clock isn't stopped for any reason at all. I know of a National Panel AR who does this and at least one other (DE).

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Referee comes to Red captain and explains the clock cannot be stopped due to child protection as only allowed to play a set amount of time.

Wrongity, wrongity, wrong! :nono:

Under 19 variations
LAW 5: TIME
5.1 Each half of an Under 19 match lasts 35 minutes playing time. Play in a match lasts no
longer than 70 minutes. After a total of 70 minutes playing time, the referee must not allow
extra time to be played in the case of a drawn match in a knock-out competition.

Waiting for the Naa Naa is not playing time.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Your understanding is correct. However there is a significant number of people in South Yorkshire who believe that the clock isn't stopped for any reason at all. I know of a National Panel AR who does this and at least one other (DE).

That's just so they can piss off home asap.:biggrin: