Time for a break

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
First game this weekend was a reasonable high school game. No significant events other than a Green player being tackled at the goal line. As he grounds the ball, he loses control and the ball bounces three feet in the air. Clearly downward pressure and a try. After the game, the two teams were tunneling up. A player on Black pointed at me and said "You f***ing sucked." I let him go through the line and then carded him. He said he was only talking about the try and the game was over so he could say anything.

The following game, I had the pleasure (sarcasm) of meeting a former "pro" player from Western Force. After starting things off with asking if I ever played rugby, he complained I was pinging players for not rolling away too quickly. This was after a player from each team was carded for using boots on players who were not rolling away. I then brought up his vociferous complaints when at a PK, the opposing team kicked the ball for touch. It bounced in before crossing the line. According to him, I was a moron for awarding it to the kicking team. Apparently in Australia, when there is a PK and the ball bounces in and then goes in to touch, the non-kicking team gets the throw. That is the way it has always been and no referee calls it the way I did.

That's enough for now. It is time for a break.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
1st issue - good for you.

2nd issue. Good for you x2. Ah yes Western Australia that hot bed of Rugby and commensurate Rugby knowledge. I look forward to the Lions sticking it up them next year - again!

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Were you at the festival down in Louisville? Player- the heck with him. The coach needs a non-playing violation submitted. I'll be happy to help with that. Get the family settled in and the new house set up this summer. Jump back in during the fall. Did you mention any of this to Duane?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Woody - how come the "ex-pro" player didn't get
1) penalised for dissent
2) 10 minutes for doing it again
3) Red card for doing it again again.

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
Were you at the festival down in Louisville? Player- the heck with him. The coach needs a non-playing violation submitted. I'll be happy to help with that. Get the family settled in and the new house set up this summer. Jump back in during the fall. Did you mention any of this to Duane?

Yes, it was at the festival. The player incident is frustrating because it wasn't a bad game and the brazenness of the comment was astounding. I talked with Duane after the game and gave a RC report. I have not talked with him on the second incident.

Davet, the "ex-pro" is the coach and this occurred after the match (except for the initial comments on not knowing the law on PK's). Otherwise, I would have followed your suggestion.

My only other run in with this coach was with him spectating a women's match. I had overruled a TJ who raised the flag when a player placed the ball before being dragged over the line. I yelled "play-on" and that is what the ladies did. At the next stoppage, the "ex-pro" announced so the whole park could hear, that I did not have the authority to overrule a TJ and how full of it I was then. I talked with the captain and between her and some helpful spectators, there was nothing more.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
At the next stoppage, the "ex-pro" announced so the whole park could hear, that I did not have the authority to overrule a TJ and how full of it I was then.

At which point I would have been sorely tempted to point out that not only did I have the authority...........but I also had the authority to send him from the playing enclosure, which I would not hesitate to do if he continued!

This kind of thing has to be stamped on hard and dealt with at source..........otherwise you just make it harder for next weeks referee, and the week after, and the week after...........

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I agree with Phil E on this. Report him. Even verbally to the society. Perhaps they can "have a word". I would also be tempted in the conversation you had to ask - "you played pro hey? So not a referee then? Or take a ref course? There is one next week - contact X. I'm sure he would to hear from you - we are always short of referees..... Have you ever read the law book?"

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Just to add. He is also the "coach" that the line - "Are you sure? Lets check in the law book shall we? You have a copy? No? Here is mine. Now if you can back up what you say from there please, and while you look, mine's a pint!"

Followed a bit later by "Still not found it? Let me point it out to you. Look here it is. Wow - that's not what you said is it? Hmm - I was right I afteral. Now you also said X,Y,Z - want to check those as well? No? Sure?"

all done nice and loudly at the bar.....

(Never got to the second bit, but have had a coach appologise after reading law book, and several refusing to take up the offer to look in the book!)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Woody - this ex-Pro (who perhaps was a triallist or kit bag carrier at best :biggrin:) needs reporting to, and jumping on by, the authorities.

Maybe he is getting confused by PKs, FKs, open play kicks and the gain-in-ground / non gain-in ground decisions for kicks direct / indirect to touch.

But Law 19.4 exception makes it very clear that a PK can go directly or indirecty into touch and the kickers side throw it in !

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
woody- report the coach, i know its practically unamerican as coaches are god but it will only get worse if you guys don't stand up. FY1 I "carded" a fijan coach in vegas last year and your ref colleagues reaction ranged from the depressing"you can't do that do you know who he is" through "but we've got to listen to the coaches" to the headrefs (depressing in a different way) " fair play someone should have done that to him ages ago". Oddly enough i got invited back again this year and Serevei himself "ordered" the guy to give me a fulsome public apology in the bar later.

Davet

Post Likes
The only answer to "do you know who I am?" (expess or implied) is "No. And I don't care - you aren't special. No one is."

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The only answer to "do you know who I am?" (expess or implied) is "No. And I don't care - you aren't special. No one is."

Nahh. the real answer to that is to call out "Hey! Does anybody know this guy? He's forgotten his name"

didds

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
At which point I would have been sorely tempted to point out that not only did I have the authority...........but I also had the authority to send him from the playing enclosure, which I would not hesitate to do if he continued!

we had our annual mini festival yesterday, and our minis manager reminded all coaches that not only did referees have the right to do this but that it would be supported by both our club's committee and theirs.

he got a round of applause when he said that, and we had no problems all day.

(well, one parent wanted to put a complaint in because a referee wasn't picking forward passes. i gave him the e-mail address of the club's CRefC :biggrin:)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
one parent wanted to put a complaint in because a referee wasn't picking forward passes.

did you discuss with him the momentum interpretation?

making sure of course you take at LEAST 30 minutes to do so, with diagrams and even better a couple of willing players outside using pitch lines etc etc etc. Just so said parent REALLY understands (and how much he wishes he'd STFU and accepted the bloke in the middle was doing his very best, and was probably right anyway ;-)

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I look forward to the Lions sticking it up them next year - again!

A bit like Oz, NZ and SA picking their best combined team then beating Wasps. If that gives you a stiffy, good luck to you.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Sorry, in that comparison, Scotland are like NZ and Australia are as good as (soon to be relegated) Wasps?

You sure?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
A bit like Oz, NZ and SA picking their best combined team then beating Wasps. If that gives you a stiffy, good luck to you.

You're only supposed to nibble the worm not jump out and bite the rod in half :biggrin:

Davet

Post Likes
Hmm

Of course England, Scotland and Wales are all part of one nation - so in effect the 3 unions are really the equivalent of NZ/Aus provincial teams.

Ireland (incorporating Ulster, which part of the same nation as Eng/Sco/Wal belong to plus the republic of Ireland) does complicate that but historically Ireland was also part of the same country as the rest, which is why we are where we are.

But basically - if SA beat England it would be the equivalent of them beating the Crusaders.