[Law] Timewasting at restart kick

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Red have just scored and converted, 2 points ahead with a minute to go. Blue are back at the touchline, itching to restart, and red are clearly timewasting after having already been warned - dawdling back, sudden cramps, chatting to the coach at the sideline.

Do you:

Allow blue to restart without all red players in position?

Stop the clock when you warn red?

FK for timewasting instead of restart? On the halfway line or red 10m?

PK for unsportsmanlike/intentional? On the halfway line or red 10m? Cards?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Firstly .. is the time taken any longer than you have been allowing all through the early part of the game ? If you were allowing a minute of dawdling all through the first half you can't change how you manage the game now.

On the assumption that red are introducing a whole new level of dawdling , I would simply stop the clock, and making it clear to both captains the the watch is stopped, tell red to quit arsing around. No need for any fk or pk. (and God save us from charges of unsportsmanlike conduct)

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Red have just scored and converted, 2 points ahead with a minute to go. Blue are back at the touchline, itching to restart, and red are clearly timewasting after having already been warned - dawdling back, sudden cramps, chatting to the coach at the sideline.

Do you:

Allow blue to restart without all red players in position?

Stop the clock when you warn red?

FK for timewasting instead of restart? On the halfway line or red 10m?

PK for unsportsmanlike/intentional? On the halfway line or red 10m? Cards?

From your scenario this is "new" and not what has been allowed all game so:

1: Stop the clock and warn red?

2: PK for unsportsmanlike/intentional. On the halfway line (where play would next restart). Cards? They would be considered in the context of the match.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
From your scenario this is "new" and not what has been allowed all game so:

2: PK for unsportsmanlike/intentional. On the halfway line (where play would next restart). Cards? They would be considered in the context of the match.

Under the basis of ask, tell, penalise, going straight to 2 would be very harsh. I'd go with stop the clock, let Red know the clock is stopped and to quit arsing around, and if they STILL do not get lined up/ready, then move to penalising.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Under the basis of ask, tell, penalise, going straight to 2 would be very harsh. I'd go with stop the clock, let Red know the clock is stopped and to quit arsing around, and if they STILL do not get lined up/ready, then move to penalising.

Which is why I put

You do Point one and move on to point two if point one does not get the desired response. Sorry, I thought that was implied but the 2 step nature of my reply.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Intentional offending is foul play - should you apply ATP to foul play?

Red know exactly what they are doing; if you only stop the clock and warn them, then they have achieved their intent (to cut down the amount of time the ball will be in play) and have escaped without punishment; benefited materially from their infringing.

I would forcefully tell them on the run to "get moving now", and if they don't respond straight away, then ping them for intentional offending AND stop the clock while they get onside/into position.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
but if you've pinged them for it, then they don;t need time to get into position - the oppo have a PK on half way . If they are are in the wrong place eg <10m, then there's a potential reset and 10m territory gain.

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
but if you've pinged them for it, then they don;t need time to get into position - the oppo have a PK on half way . If they are are in the wrong place eg <10m, then there's a potential reset and 10m territory gain.

didds

Intentional offending is a PK

They can kick the PK to touch around Red's 22 or better; that's the gain.

(we're talking grass roots here, so a shot at goal from 50m is probably not on the cards)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There is two points in it and a minute to go.

I certainly wouldn't want to be grandstanding with match deciding actions as suggested, over a delay in the restart.

All that is required is to stop the watch until play resumes, and a quiet word with both captains to make sure they know the clock is off

Last edited:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I would certainly allow Blue to restart when they and I are ready, whether it's the first or 79th minute. I'm only concerned whether the opposition are ready at the beginning of each half; they've had all the time of the conversion kick to get themselves ready. If they are preventing Blue from re-starting e.g. by deliberately dawdling within the 10m in front of the ball, then PK.

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
LAW 12.5.b
When the ball is kicked opposition players must be on or behind the 10-metre line.
Sanction: The kick is retaken

Therefore blue cannot be permitted to take the KO before red are behind the 10m line. I agree that we should not be concerned if they are ready or not. However, they have to be behind the 10m.
I can therefore only see two acceptable options under the laws: stop the clock and warn red; or award a penalty to blue.

It is interesting that the 7s laws have been amended so theat the non-scoring team must immediately assemble close to their own 10-metre line. This is in order to speed up the restart but the scoring team just have to be behind the kicker.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If they've been dicking about at restarts all game, you've created a rod for your own back - should have dealt with it from the get-go.

If this is the first one, I'd be looking at overall tenor of the game. If they've generally been responsive, then I'd stop the watch and warn them.

If they've had two in the bin for repeated (for example) I may be inclined to shout once at them to get ready and then go straight to PK if I don't immediate compliance.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
For us here its a tricky one, because stopping the clock isn't an option (unless you are doing senior 1st XV) so I would go straight to FK/possibly PK depending on tone of game

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There is one minute to go , two points in it, blue are waiting to restart, and many of the red team are behind them, some talking to their coach, others pretending to have cramp

If you award a PK to blue they will tap and go, score a try, and win the game . So you have effectively awarded them the match..

The whole afternoon will suddenly revolve around the referee and that one decision. All the red team will be incensed and many of the blue team will probably think they didn't really deserve the match gifted to them like that

I think it would be poor game management .
Much better to stop the watch, so no time is lost

In the Australian situation where the watch cannot be stopped it's certainly trickier to handle

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In the Australian situation where the watch cannot be stopped it's certainly trickier to handle

for those games where time off is not allowed (and they are not ubiquitous), there are all sorts of time issues. Eg player gets a neck injury with 5 mins to go = game likely to end