Tips on how to review a video

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just received my first assessment by video. Arghghghghghghgh! I guess it is a bit like when you were young and heard your singing voice on tape for the first time- "that can't possibly be me". Of course the lumbering, overweight ref in green that is invariably in the wrong position is of course me and it is quite startling when you see how clearly you are guffing things up.

There are some positives (honestly), but the video is clear about where you are and how this differs from where you SHOULD be. Things I need to work on are getting to the breakdown quicker (quite amusingly the breakdown happens and then eventually I arrive by which time the ball has gone and off I go again!) and getting the scrum organised. Well Womble has helped me with the scrum and I am targeting getting that organised next week. But, here's the question. There is obviously so much to look at when this is all new, but are there any tips from you refs that must have seen that first horror video once? How did you analyze it and what were the big areas that started to improve after seeing it?

As always, any tips gratefully received!
:wales:

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Watch it in the mindset of one of the teams coaches not as a Ref. This will help greatly

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Do coaches have a mind, I thought they had their brains removed at birth?

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
First time I did it - decided to pick one area for easy improvement, that could hav e a big impact on the game - signals, and comms. Now my signals are slow and obvious, comms much improved, and relationship with players improved.

I would say - pick 1 easy win, 1 intermediate fix, 1 longer term fix. Say: Signals, set pieces, fitness. And the nwork on it, and get a second video, and pick three (hopefully) new areas.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
An oldie but a goodie - Honestly answer the questions in this presentation.

Keep statistics when you review the video, and ensure you time-stamp them (i.e. not just "18 PKs" but "18 PKs, in the following areas, against team A/B, at these times". There's a formula-based form that makes it easy to count PKs, scrums, etc for you.

I could go on all day, but you'll tend towards a few areas that are in need of development after watching each game (or more if you've had a trainsmash!), and if you have an open mic it will take even more time (with better rewards reaped!)

Even knowing what to look for, I typically spend 4-5 hours on the review from start to finish (i.e. a report with stats issued).

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
An oldie but a goodie - Honestly answer the questions in this presentation.
Good presentation - but perhaps a little advanced for your purposes? I suspect that the failings seen on first viewing are multiple, obvious and (to a degree) embarrassing. If that is the case, then I very much like Flipflop's approach of 1 easy win, 1 intermediate fix, 1 longer term fix.

The longer term fix might be fitness - getting there in time to see something other than the distribution away from the breakdown will help to improve much of the rest. But there are probably things that can be improved even without increased fitness. One is positioning: the unfit ref, like the one who lacks natural speed, will need to position himself differently from the fitter, quicker one. Not for him the default of the blind side option, or the front of the lineout - he will need to police the infield areas, and run smarter lines whenever possible.

Good luck!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Don't watch the referee. Watch the game.

See what you missed, then watch the video to see why. Then see if a pattern of behavior starts to emerge

I like Bryan's approach, but agree that it may be a step advanced for you right now

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I was the same as Flip Flop. I'd always thought my secondary signals were fine until I saw them on video. Yuck! So I focused on making them more theatric - slower, more deliberate, more expansive and not rushed. This had a profound (positive) effect on my whole on-field demeanor

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Dickie, you have an " on-field demeanor " ?:pepper:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I was horrified the first time I saw a video of myself reffing which was replayed on the screen when everyone was in the bar.
Turns out I am going bald and had a real monkey's arse on the back of my head:booty:

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
steptoe.jpgMore like :pepper:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Did you get a referee coach (assessor) report for that game? If not, you could try and find a friendly ref coach and ask him to watch the game with you and give you some pointers.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A couple of years I sent a video of myself (sans Rob Lowe!) to Simon T and he was kind enough to give me an assessment. Maybe one of our online pencillers could help. Or put it on youtube and we can all chip in.

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
Last one I had done had sound which was very offputting - too much to take in, so I watched it on mute first then with sound on.