Select Grade
FFS boys take it outside....

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If he refused to make a call, I would have ruled against his team. Harsh? Maybe.

And which team are you going to rule against if the TJ is neutral?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
we established earlier in the thread that the Law covers this : if there is doubt the attacking team gets it

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And which team are you going to rule against if the TJ is neutral?

If it was union, obviously i'd go with the law and give it to the attacking side. In league, a neutral touch judge would always take a position on who took the ball out of play.

Edit: I would think in union any neutral touchy is probably an official AR, and I would find it hard to believe they would have no opinion on who took the ball out btw.

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you can't decide after all the above you give it to the side that's pissed you off less.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
This has actually happened to me, running touch for the local club on a Saturday "off". Pile of bodies rolled into touch, so I put up my flag and when the ref approached I had say sorry, but I have no idea who was in possession. No pause, no doubt, "right, attacking team throw in."
I was impressed at his speed of decision and I am even more impressed now after reading this thread!