TJ- no call

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
While refn an U16 game (my Club at home) the ball was carried into touch as two players wrestled for possession. TJ(away Coach) wouldn't/couldn't call it saying "50/50 Sir". As I was unsighted - players had their backs to me- I could not call it accurately either. I pushed TJ saying "your call" and he then gave the put in to the home team. No issues and played on.

Question is...If TJ had refused to call it what should I have done. Stick a pin in it and pick a side (probably away) to put in or, though no basis in law, would restarting with a scrum on 15m to attacking side be a fairer option?

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
If he had refused I would have considered who was last in possesion before the 50/50 and given it to the other side.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
One of the players muct have got his hands on the ball first, he's the one in possession, throw goes to the other team.
You have to make a call - based on your instinct.
'it seemed to me red had possession first, and was pushed into touch, LO blue ball'

say that confidently, no one will dispute it -- it's your job to call these tricky ones, that's what you are there for. they all know that.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I don't think it is a good idea to demand such judgement from a (probably untrained) TJ. I recently had a referee who asked the TJ if the ball had been knocked on into touch. It is not part of his job, and you don't know if he is qualified or not.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... Question is...If TJ had refused to call it what should I have done. Stick a pin in it and pick a side (probably away) to put in or, though no basis in law, would restarting with a scrum on 15m to attacking side be a fairer option?
This eventuality is covered by law 19.4 Decorily

19.4 Who throws inThe throw-in is taken by an opponent of the player who last held or touched the ball before it went into touch. When there is doubt, the attacking team takes the throw-in.

That's all you need to say is "We can't decide who took that in gents. LO here Red thrown in as they're the attacking side". Job done.

The chances of there being an issue are slim to nil.

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If he refused to make a call, I would have ruled against his team. Harsh? Maybe.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

19.4 Who throws inThe throw-in is taken by an opponent of the player who last held or touched the ball before it went into touch. When there is doubt, the attacking team takes the throw-in.

oh well, there's the correct answer.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

You learn something new every day...or as a ref you probably SHOULD!

Thanks all ...Dec

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
<chopper>But what if the ball goes into touch exactly on the half way line?</chopper>

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
in which case "next time" he'll just award the l/o to his own team!

didds

For all we know he gave the whole '50/50' bullshit stance because he knew it was off his team but didn't want to own up to it.

In any case, I wouldn't reward his incompetence. Too easy to say 'ok i thought it was off your team last, thanks mate', thus not punishing the other team for his failure to make a call, but also not making him feel shit about it either.

Just my two cents, each to their own :)

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Or just ask a spectator what they think?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just viewing that thread makes me feel suicidal.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Oh look, the man of the hour.

Oh look, a troll.

Would you like a sledge, little troll?

Well, you won't be getting one from me, because apparently in your neck of the woods, gunshots to the head have happened, and I don't deliver there. That, and your snow is crap. Go back to Bogan if you like. Or grow up, and stop throwing hissy-fits.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Oh look, a troll.

Would you like a sledge, little troll?

Well, you won't be getting one from me, because apparently in your neck of the woods, gunshots to the head have happened, and I don't deliver there. That, and your snow is crap. Go back to Bogan if you like. Or grow up, and stop throwing hissy-fits.

Well, that made a lot of sense :)