TMO v VAR

dickell

Post Likes
Are we not glad that the TMO system, after early problems, now works pretty well? VAR is still a shambles, witness rugby tackles on Spanish footballers not penalised.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What's a VAR?

dickell

Post Likes
Video Assistant Referee; being used in the soccer world cup.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It has caused a lot of controvery. and some incredible "rugby tackles" going unpunished. Perhaps the WC is not the best time for what has been, effectively, the first major trial of the system.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
witness rugby tackles on Spanish footballers not penalised.

I don't know with the VAR, but does the broadcaster send the footage to them? If so, in this case, I might ask who controls the broadcaster!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't know much about VAR but I find it very odd that we don't get to see the replays they are watching

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
99.3% correct decisions when the VAR is used is frankly an astonishing result.

As a point of statistics pedantry, it's more interesting to know how many decisions were changed/improved, and how many additional offences were picked up. If the VAR is only used to check if goals are goals, say, I'd expect a number like that. But how many missed calls were picked up by the VAR, or how many incorrect decisions were corrected? That's the value of it.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I dunno enough about it, but FIFA say the VAR has gotten very good results.

http://www.itv.com/news/2018-06-29/...-helping-referees-get-99-3-decisions-correct/

99.3% correct decisions when the VAR is used is frankly an astonishing result.

Define 'correct decisions' as they've already admitted to adjusting the guidance refs give to contact and man handling in the penalty area (ie be tougher on it) from the early games. So some 'correct decisions' in the early games that fans disagreed with would not be 'correct' today.

Basically they have same issues as us, guidance that can contradict the laws and a lack of consistency

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I don't know much about VAR but I find it very odd that we don't get to see the replays they are watching

Last night I think they showed a view inside the VAR room when they were looking at one of the decisions - there seemed to be about 8 very large TV screens there so there may well be lots of simultaneous replays available to the VAR(s). This is difficult to put on the large screen as normally happens with rugby.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Last night I think they showed a view inside the VAR room when they were looking at one of the decisions - there seemed to be about 8 very large TV screens there.

Did they look like this?

TV_Putin.jpg

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
THe number of player pulled to the ground where the VAR systems says there is no penalty suggests that 90%+ figure is make believe. Unless youare no allowed to make rugby tackles on players.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Ah, Wendyball.

*** shrug: loses interest in thread ***

i'm very much of the same opinion with most things related to that sport, but i do find it interesting to compare similar events across different of sports where i know something about at least one of the sports involved. VAR vs TMO, third umpire vs whatever they use in tennis, that sort of thing.

based on what i hear about VAR, because i don't have enough of an interest to actually watch the sport, it seems like it's a hell of a long way behind how the TMO is used. which is perhaps unsurprising, given we've had over 20 years to get it right.

what i think is a real shambles though, is there seems to be a school of thought that doesn't want the big decisions to be got right because people want talking points (or fans want to be able to blame someone else, i.e. the referee, for losing games). it's a minority, but these people seem to genuinely want the wrong decisions to stand rather than to use technology to try and get it right.

it was also probably foolish to use a world cup as the first high profile trial, it's almost as if the powers that be want it to fail.......

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Last night I think they showed a view inside the VAR room when they were looking at one of the decisions - there seemed to be about 8 very large TV screens there so there may well be lots of simultaneous replays available to the VAR(s). This is difficult to put on the large screen as normally happens with rugby.

but rugby TMOs also have a bank of screens ..... don't they ?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
what i think is a real shambles though, is there seems to be a school of thought that doesn't want the big decisions to be got right because people want talking points (or fans want to be able to blame someone else, i.e. the referee, for losing games). it's a minority, but these people seem to genuinely want the wrong decisions to stand rather than to use technology to try and get it right.

I agree. Its a mindset that the official making mistakes is all part of the fabric of the game.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I agree. Its a mindset that the official making mistakes is all part of the fabric of the game.

It is part of the fabric of thegame. Well accepting the referee "warts and all" is.

WE now have tech that allows us to minnimise those "natural elements of human nature" to a bare minnimum. That has to be a welcome development.

The problem with tech is howe much does it disrupt the game and when doe the negitives outweight the positives.

Rugby
I feel we have got it just about right. That is not to ay that the TMO system does not get things wrong . But it is going in the right direction. Goal line tech seems to have got it right. to a large degrees.

Footbal
Goal line tech? Yes this seems to work quite well. As does the Offside system. Where the Linesman kkeps his flag down unliess very clear and VAR picks up the slack. The Red Card and penalty reviews are a farce.

Rugby has been working at this for a lot longer and has benefited from the time. football will get there I'm sure.

The issue is "small meat" to the probklem of "superstars like Ronaldo and Neymar and their antics.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Footbal
Goal line tech? Yes this seems to work quite well. As does the Offside system. Where the Linesman kkeps his flag down unliess very clear and VAR picks up the slack. The Red Card and penalty reviews are a farce.

Rugby has been working at this for a lot longer and has benefited from the time. football will get there I'm sure.

I agree with this (from what I've seen of the world cup).

It feels like football has tried to do it all at once (perhaps because, let's be fair, they've been lagging behind). Rugby didn't.

We had, what, 12 years(?) of "in the act of scoring" and have only had checks for foul play for about 5 years.

If we'd tried to jump in where we are now 20 years ago it'd likely be a farce, too.