Top Gear

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Whilst I stopped watching Top Gear many years back as I felt that it was a 'lads mag' that allowed Clarkson to peddle his mysogonistic personality I watched last night out of curiosity.
I like Chris Evans and, when seeking a change from Paul Anthony on the Planet Rock breakfast show, will tune into his radio show which is funny and informative and he has an interviewing style that puts guests at ease with that chaos running in the background so one never quite knows what will happen.
However, last night's show was a chance to make a change and stop his personality on things with Matt LeBlanc and, in my mind, it summarily failed. The initial test drive of the Corvette and the Viper started well but descended into Clarksonesque childishness, although it was good to see the chassis failings of the Corvette laid bare. The test of the Atom Nomad was, i thought, good in that it highlighted the fun aspect of the car - if I had £33k to spare I would buy one :)
Will I tune in next week? Probably, just to see if Evans & Co can improve.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I haven't seen it yet, but I suspect the BBC thought "If it isn't broken - don't fix it". The old Top Gear was obviously successful (wasn't it one of the most popular programmes on the BBC?) so I'm not surprised they've kept roughly the same format.

Whether Chris Evans has the personality for it - I'm not so sure, but I reckon introducing Matt Le Blanc was an inspired move by the BBC - people naturally like the bloke, so he's off to a good start before the programmes is even aired.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
t I reckon introducing Matt Le Blanc was an inspired move by the BBC - people naturally like the bloke, so he's off to a good start before the programmes is even aired.

Or then again maybe they don't. I lifted this from a post elsewhere I saw earlier...

"Matt LeBlanc has one of those faces that make me want to punch the TV screen, so that's not a very good start."

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Or then again maybe they don't. I lifted this from a post elsewhere I saw earlier...

"Matt LeBlanc has one of those faces that make me want to punch the TV screen, so that's not a very good start."

didds

Matt LeBlanc is probably the main reason I doubt I will be bothering to watch. That and the list of Neville Nobodies they have around him. He's the only one I have heard of, and I cannot stand him!

Shame they wee unable to convince Jodie Kidd to front the show, or Jay Kay. Either would have been a better bet than this bunch.

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Family are fans I have never been. However, I though it a reasonable start. Not too many changes but a few new ideas. I guess time will tell, it always takes a while for a programme to settle.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
There's not going to be any changes between programme 1 & 2 as 2 was recorded before 1 was aired, so we'll have to put up with Evans shouting for another show (still thinks he's on TFI Friday)!

The old show was scripted by CHM, where as this show has writers, so the "forced chemistry" between Evans and Joey, just looked false. will it improve over the shows, probably?

Like others, I thought it was a chance to change some of the format that maybe had become a little stale, but instead they tried to copy it. Having seen CHM first hand rip the sh!t out of each other, I can confirm what you saw on TV was real. Evans and Joey haven't got that relationship so they just ought to avoid trying to copy it!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well, I have just finished watching the first programme of the new Top Gear.... or should I say, the first 30 minutes, because that is all I could stomach; I got pissed off with Evans shouting at everyone.

Two words come to mind... Epic Fail. I won't be bothering to watch it again. These guys simply do not have what it takes. They are just a pair of try-hards who will never be able to come close to replicating the chemistry of Clarkson, May and Hammond. Evans is more boring than watching paint dry, and takes himself too seriously. Leblanc is just how I expected he would be, a waste of space. Sometimes, I just want to punch him in the face.

Very disappointed because I was expecting a lot better than the utter tripe we got dished up tonight. I look forward to the return of the real top gear with Clarkson, May and Hammond, in The Grand Tour this coming spring. I understand Sky TV in NZ are already negotiating with Amazon Prime for the satellite TV broadcasting rights in NZ, I hope they get it.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I preferred Top Gear when Angela Rippon and Tom Coyne presented it.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I preferred Top Gear when Angela Rippon and Tom Coyne presented it.

It's come to something when you feel that the Old Farts doing their dinosaur act is a bit too avant garde for you!. Time to hang up your steel toe-cap, ankle covering boots?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Looks like the rats are leaving the sinking ship. First, Chris Evans has given up after only one season, now it looks like Matt LeBlanc might not be returning for season 24.

Meanwhile, the good ship "The Grand Tour" sails on on ever stronger, if we can judge by the thousands of fans who mobbed Clarkson, May and Hammond as they drove into Vincenza's Piazza dei Signori last month for filming of the show.

Looks like the BBC really has shot its cash cow in the hoof! IMO, one of the few chances they have of saving Top Gear is to offer Jodie Kidd an enormous truckload of money to front the show. Even though she has turned them down once already, they should keep trying, she might have her price.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Be interesting to see the new commercial Grand Tour show, not long now.

But the guys have now had to drag themselves into the 21st modern age, everything will be sponsored with links to enable you to buy the products (watches, phones, clothes etc etc) from guess where...... :chin: