Touch call before fracas (Exeter/Saracens)

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I didn't get a chance to watch the actual game, but in watching the official highlight package, it's hard to tell where the BC went into touch from the eye in the sky angle provided, and there's no close-up angle provided in the vid due to the handbags.

I can't link to the vid directly from here, but if you go to the official YT channel for the Premiership, it's at ~3:25 in the package for the game.

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
So does play continue with 15 on field or do they have to drop someone otherwise a pretty minor saction

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So does play continue with 15 on field or do they have to drop someone otherwise a pretty minor saction

They stay at 15 but Williams will go through discipline now, and get a ban

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
"I'd failed the HIA. Clearly I was not in possession of all my faculties"

In which you will not be eligible to play for the next two weeks, so your punishment effectively doesn't start until after that. You are banned until 5 weeks hence (2 weeks HIA, 3 weeks suspension).

:biggrin:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
He was off the pitch for a YC wasn't he?

No. He did get a YC in the 1st half.

Thought the whole incident was handled very well by WB and his team.

Expect a clarification about the offending team being able to continue with 15 players despite the :norc:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So he was off the pitch for an HIA ? Isn't he supposed to be in the medical room ?
Or had he been just subbed ?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
BBC match report:

The rivalry between the sides boiled over in the final moments as players from both sides came together and England prop Williams - who had been replaced earlier after failing a head injury assessment - jumped off the bench to get involved in the melee and was sent off by referee Wayne Barnes.

which tallies with the commentary from the telly.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So, what about WB handling of Billy V ?
That was a tougher incident to handle than HW

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I though Wayne did well to avoid the need for a sanction (with a tiny bit of help from Billy)

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
TBH, I'm not convince the ball actually went into touch. He seems to have been able to get the pass away before any part him him touches the touchline or beyond. That being said, for the Red card. If you issued a RC to a non-used Sub, would the offending team have to go down to 15 players. No they wouldn't, so would be the same here.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
TBH, I'm not convince the ball actually went into touch. He seems to have been able to get the pass away before any part him him touches the touchline or beyond.

This was the initial purpose of my post. I think this may have been an error, but there's no conclusive TV angles to say otherwise IMO.

seanaodh

Level 3 Ref (IRFU)
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
100% not in touch. Just a mistake from the AR. We're talking about this right?

YZl7f2d.png