Try number 4

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes ball taken into touch and #14 light blue takes a QT, but QT was taken ahead of mark of touch.

Great following play though :biggrin:

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Agreed, nice play after the QT...

But to me, it's taken from inside the field of play. Not so sure it's that "in front of the mark as the AR hasn't marked it yet.

What puzzles me is "where is the AR looking"?
It seems the AR is clearly looking at the ball (good), but he keeps his flag up after the QT, which is supposed to mean that the QT isn't valid and that a line-out is due.
He finally puts his flag down at the second pass... Seems to me he was a bit blur there and just bottled it...
But I might be wrong...

Just my 2 cents,
Cheers,
Pierre.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Or he's had comms from the rest saying play on.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Or he's had comms from the rest saying play on.
Possible...
From the sound I can get, I can hear the ref' blowing is whistle for the line out. And then he says "jouez" (play-on) at the same time as the AR is putting his flag down. Eye contact maybe there...

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Sounds like the AR was signalling to the ref that the QT was not taken correctly, and the ref over-ruled him and decided to play on.

macleod33

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
An interesting case. I've just checked my (latest) law book (2011!!) and there is a pretty fundamental difference between the IRB law and the law I've got and referee by : 19.2 (d)
In my paper version, it states :
"....A quick throw-in is not permitted if another person has touched the ball apart from the player throwing it in....."
In the IRB web-site version :
"....A quick throw-in is not permitted if another person has touched the ball apart from the player throwing it in and an opponent who carried it into touch...."

I don't know since when the underlined part has been added, but I've always been reffing by the paper version. That means that if an opponent carries the ball into touch, a QT can never been carried out as it would mean that the ball had been touched by another player than the player who throws in. I therefore only allow a QT if the ball has been kicked (all other laws remaining equal).

Let's hope that the new paper version will be seriously updated. Hoping to receive the 2012 version by the end of the season!!
PS : last year, we never received the laws, too many changes, too late to print...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Let's hope that the new paper version will be seriously updated. Hoping to receive the 2012 version by the end of the season!!
PS : last year, we never received the laws, too many changes, too late to print...

The 2012 version is now out of date and we are onto the 2013 Law Book.
You can always download it from the IRB Laws website.

www.irblaws.com

macleod33

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
The 2012 version is now out of date and we are onto the 2013 Law Book.
You can always download it from the IRB Laws website.
We never received the 2012 version!! We are still on the 2011 version!! For the download, that's not too bad when you're at home, but I always have the law book with me at the matches.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
We never received the 2012 version!! We are still on the 2011 version!! For the download, that's not too bad when you're at home, but I always have the law book with me at the matches.

Either load it as a PDF or full APP to your Tablet or Smartphone - then you always have the latest version with you wherever you are.

I did a quick law check at half-time on Saturday using LIWG excellent wi fi facilities.

macleod33

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
Sorry for not having either a smartphone or a tablet!!
Last year when IRB set up their smartphone app, I joked with another ref that soon, we'll have to ref with our smartphone in our pocket! We can therefore check up the latest laws (as they change every day!!).
Unfortunately, that day seems to be upon us....

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
The translation on their website is sound -
iRB said:
19.2 (d)
Pour effectuer une remise en jeu rapide, le joueur doit utiliser le même ballon qui est sorti en touche. Il n’est pas autorisé de faire une remise en jeu rapide si une autre personne que le joueur effectuant la remise en jeu et un adversaire ayant mis le ballon en touche a touché le ballon. C’est la même équipe qui lancera le ballon dans l’alignement.

macleod33

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
on the same theme smartphone/tablet, I've decided to splash out on the latest I Pad. To have it always ready during the match, I'll fix it to a 12 inch strap-on so I can follow the laws "live". And it will be legit. for the guys to say " what a cock, that ref!!".....

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hi Allan,
If you get kitted out with a Refcam at the same time you will certainly look the biz - like Antoine perhaps!

Mes meilleurs vœux pour cette année 2013! :bday:

Last edited:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Just don't adopt the chariot position during that game! :biggrin:

(Ipad mini is quite small now ;) )