Try?

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ellis was not jumping on top of the ruck, he was jumping over it and safely too. I don't think 16.3 d. has this particular event in mind.

A bit of flair, innovation, safe, good for the crowd, no problem.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
He didn't jump on top of the ruck thingy, he went right over it - brilliant !

AndyKidd

Referees in Heaven
Post Likes
Hate to state the obvious but "What Ruck". Ball was out ruck was over.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well spotted Andy, blinding glimpse etc. making 16.3 inappropriate. The only question to ask would be 'Is it safe?' noting of course that this is not an uncommon play in American Football.

David J.

Referees in America
Post Likes
The only question to ask would be 'Is it safe?' noting of course that this is not an uncommon play in American Football.

Meaning it is likely NOT safe?

Ellis lands on top of White 11. May have hung there if 11 hadn't stood up and/or Ellis wasn't knocked over by White 6. Reports of his athleticism seem slightly exaggerated.

If this had occurred mid-field would we look at the situation differently? What if this is a game at a much lower level?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
David J,

There would never be a reason for this to happen mid field.

These players are elite and know their game, if you watch the Crusaders play they obviously have the laws and their correct interpretations drummed into them as some of their play is superb!

Would I allow it in my grassrotts game?

If it was done as well and safely as Ellis did it, probably yes. But I doubt they could do it that well, any notion it was not safe is going to be a penalty.

What we have to remember is all our players have to go to work/school the following Monday.

If the S14 players get a knock they have all sorts of people on hand to help them recover without loss of income or cost.