Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KingsPE

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
refereed an U13 game today - one side tried to take a quick lineout. Luckily the ball had touched a spectator so I knew it could not be taken but it made me double-check laws.

According to IRB U19 variations, quick throw in is fine (as long as it meeets the usual requirements!) BUT according to RFU website relating to age-grade rugby, (http://www.rfu.com/TheGame/~/media/Files/2010/TheGame/Regulations/RFU Regulation 15 Appendix 2.ashx) minumum numbers in the lineout are 2!!!

Is there a minimum of 2 ONLY if there is a lineout formed - ie if the quick throw is taken before it is formed, then play on.

Also, can no8 pick up from the base of the scrum?
Can the ball be held in the scrum by no.8 to push the scrum forward the whole 1.5m?

Help?!?!?!?!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I cannot answer your query as regards age groups, but a Quick Throw-in is not a Lineout.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
U.13 is great fun. No.8 can pick up, but can't delay the ball at the base. 1.5m is three steps - if you haven't taken that while channelling, it's unlikely you could - and why would you anyway? Just distribute it - and this is what will almost always happen.

2 is the minimum number in a lineout in ALL rugby - unhelpful to put it in the variations, but I suspect that it is indeed just the RFU trying, unhelpfully, to be helpful. As OB says, a quickie isn't a lineout. I see nothing in the variations that vary the laws on the QT.

KingsPE

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
U.13 is great fun. No.8 can pick up, but can't delay the ball at the base. 1.5m is three steps - if you haven't taken that while channelling, it's unlikely you could - and why would you anyway? Just distribute it - and this is what will almost always happen.

2 is the minimum number in a lineout in ALL rugby - unhelpful to put it in the variations, but I suspect that it is indeed just the RFU trying, unhelpfully, to be helpful. As OB says, a quickie isn't a lineout. I see nothing in the variations that vary the laws on the QT.

Cheers Dixie

Exactly as I thought but you know how somedays you just question yourself????????????

Of course a quick throw is not a line out (what was I thinking???) but not particularly helpful to have it highlighted I guess.

Thanks for the feedback guys

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
You may be thinking of the fact if 2 guys from each team have formed a line out at the place of touch, you should then Blow and say line out formed. A quick one can't then be taken