U16 Cup Semi Final - Coach

Scarlet Al

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Black 12-45 Green

I have had previous bad experience with black coach, and he is a qualified WRU Level 1 (Up to U16) referee so he should know better.

Prior to the game, pleasant enough to me, but didn't really get off on the right footing as he informed me that he could not download a team sheet off the net so we'd have to sort it out in the club after. I asked him if that was the only option. He said it'd be better doing it all together, I told him to ask Green coach if he was happy (as it is the same sheet for both teams in this competition). Both coaches happy so I got the team sheet after the game from Black back in the club, which, in fairness, was already filled in by them. Team briefings went fine... 2 or 3 minutes before the game, he was shouting to his team "Respect the man in the middle, the referee makes a decision, you stick with it, don't argue......"

4 minutes in to the game, I had to stop and told him, "Before the game, you were telling your players to respect the referee and his decisions, well for the first 4 minutes, that's exactly NOT what you've been doing." "Ok, sorry ref."

Players almost kicked off (fighting wise) but all dealt with through captains with warnings etc.

Play on, black "Try" held up, a player: "You must be f*cking blind ref." Yellow card.

At scrums etc, the black coach was coming on the pitch shouting, "any chance of a word ref, any chance of a word?" I ignored this the first two / three times, then I told the coach that I would speak to him at half time if he so desired. Still mouthing away on the sideline constantly, and still asking me "for a word", this was obviously rubbing off on his players.

Half way through the first half approx. yellow card to green for cynical in the side near try line, then 5 mins. before half time, nasty tackle without the ball so another yellow to green.

During the second 10 minute period, green claim no FR trained players, so we go uncontested for 2 scrums, then as if by magic, a trained prop appears.

Half time, black coach approached me and raised issue to do with FR situation, I explained that I was in a difficult position as if they tell me they are not FR trained, then I have to take their word for it. He also raised that the nasty hit without the ball, in his eyes was a red card offence, I told him that in my eyes it was a yellow, obviously. He then mentioned "green captain trying to get involved and start fighting 4 or 5 times, and you haven't done anything although you've certainly seen him twice as you've warned him." :chin: He also mentioned "the high penalty count" against Green and asked how long until a card, I told him that I'd ref the game as I saw it.

Green coach also approached me, he's a WRU Level 2 referee (Same level as me) and asked if I was ok seeing as I'd had to endure a lot of abuse from the black sidelines.

During second half, black coach didn't stop mouthing, "Cheating ref, cheating us." "Don't worry boys, you're playing against 16." etc etc. 2 injuries and no one on the bench meant that Black had to drop to 13 players.

A tackle in the air and more cynical fouls in the red zone meant 2 MORE yellow cards for green.

Black camped on opposition try line for a good 10 minutes, not really getting anywhere, and although from this, I had yellow carded a green player, black coach - "Any chance of a card ref, can they seriously have a card now please ref?" During a stoppage in play due to injury very near the sideline where the black coach was, I went over to the black coach and told him that I'd referee this game and he'd stick with coaching. "Oh, but ref, how long 'til you get your cards out for them?" I repeated myself. Answer: "Ok."

Well that was just about it any way, green ran 2 excellent tries in at the end of the game, and eventually game over.

Green coaches very decent towards me, shook my hand, thanked me etc etc.

Black coach didn't even approach me to thank me.

My Father was in attendance at the game taking photos as an amateur photographer, neither club had issues with this, as agreed before hand etc etc... He told me that the black coach was on the pitch more often than he wasn't and was on the pitch at times smoking, and was calling me "every name under the sun." Obviously, as a ref, I switch off to a lot of this so didn't really hear everything he was calling me etc, only what I've mentioned above.

My father also has photographic evidence that the coach was on the pitch during play, and was smoking whilst he was on it.

Club about a mile or 2 away from the ground so I went over there, the coach walked in to the club from his car and passed me and said "You need some paperwork don't you" and then went to fetch the team sheet that was already filled.

He didn't offer me food, drink or expenses. Expenses I had to ask someone from behind the bar then he came over and said "I'll sort that." and gave me the money and that was pretty much the end of our dialogue. I asked a man behind the bar if there was a committee man present, there was so I informed him that I didn't want to discuss anything else now but that I would be submitting a breach of code of conduct report on todays game.
"Oh, there we are, carry on then."

The committee man I spoke to was present at the game.

Had a productive dialogue about the tackle area etc. with the green coach in the club, who, even though his team recieved 4 yellow cards, asked me for my contact details so that if they need a ref down there any time, they would contact me.

Disgraceful, seriously wondering why I give up my Sunday mornings to get treated like dirt.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
During second half, black coach didn't stop mouthing, "Cheating ref, cheating us." "Don't worry boys, you're playing against 16."

That's the point at which the coach should be banned from the playing enclosure.

Submit an abuse form, and follow through.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
How awful, even worse considering he's a qualified referee!

What I would say is that I think you put up with too much chat from the coach for far too long. I'm guilty of doing the same but if there was a barrier, he should have been behind it after the, "any chance of a word" comment.

If there was no barrier then at that point I would suggest that a warning such as, "you're a role model for your players, they look up to you, respect you and imitate your behaviour. Unfortunately your behaviour is becoming unacceptable. You now have two options: either focus on your coaching or sit in the clubhouse".

As the match was a Cup semi final, I would probably have insisted that I got a team sheet of some sort (even if it is only a scrap of paper with the number of replacements and the number or FR). This is to ascertain how many replacements and FR replacements they have in their match day squad. This would've prevented the 'no STE FR players' call during the YC.

Some people will just never learn, most games are a lot better, and don't let a few fools spoil your game.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
That's the point at which the coach should be banned from the playing enclosure.

Agreed.

And make sure you submit a match official abuse form.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
When you have had enough of the Coach's comments from the touch line, start by having a word with the appropriate team captain and telling him to go and have a word with the Coach or you will have to take the matter further. If it then continues, at an appropriate moment, approach the Coach directly and publicly ask him to keep his comments to himself as he is disrupting the game. The next escalation is to stop the game and to send the Coach from the playing enclosure, preferably to the clubhouse. At this point, a home club official should be co opted to help. The game remains stopped until the Coach has complied.

Don't forget the paperwork.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Black coach was totally out of order.

As well as Referee Abuse submission and dealt with by Union, one of our qualified refs and Society member would be up before Society Disciplinary Committee (only one held in last 10 years in Hampshire), with a potential suspension of his refereeing qualification for starters.

Scarlet Al

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Black coach was totally out of order.

As well as Referee Abuse submission and dealt with by Union, one of our qualified refs and Society member would be up before Society Disciplinary Committee (only one held in last 10 years in Hampshire), with a potential suspension of his refereeing qualification for starters.

He's not on any society... Just ref's his own teams junior games. Only a neutral referee appt. as it was a cup game.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... our qualified refs and Society member would be up before Society Disciplinary Committee (only one held in last 10 years in Hampshire), with a potential suspension of his refereeing qualification for starters.
I suspect he doesn't referee a lot - because he's still a Level 1 (effectively a trainee) like me, so losing his refereeing qualification probably wouldn't hurt him much. If your any good, the Level 1s tend to get to Level 2 pretty quick, so the fact that he's still a Level 1 may speak volumes.

With the end of the season fast approaching and all the semi-finals and cup finals taking place, its a high pressure environment (for coaches and parents especially) and not for the feint hearted. Eg my boy was in a semi-final today and we had a Level 3 ref. :wow: Don't think we've had one that high before.

Last edited:

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
You must be effing blind ref, thats a RC in my book.

As for the coach i would have got rid of him.

Its junior coaches, they are terrible, today I was a TJ for a U19 cup game and i have never seen such poor leadership and ill discipline from so called adults. Never once did I hear a positive coment or advice to the players from either the coaches, subs or spectators from only one team. The coaching staff complanined and screamed for a penalty at every single breakdown, yes everyone of them!!!! They were just inciting the players. It was boring the life out of me. :bday:

The other team however were superb much better ethos of rugby.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Had a tough game today and although the coaches were unsympathetic I count myself fortunate having heard this. Get in the abuse form ASAP and try not let it get you down.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
:mad: I'm with everyone else - report the abuse, and let's hope he loses his coaches ticket too. Absolutely not acceptable:mad:

MiniRef

Referees in England
Post Likes

In practice, please can you advise how to ban / remove from playing enclosure? Show a red card? Point in clear gesture to a far away point?

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
In practice, please can you advise how to ban / remove from playing enclosure? Show a red card? Point in clear gesture to a far away point?
In an adult game, I would say to the skipper "The whistle will not blow to re-start this game until that person is inside the clubhouse."

In a Junior game, I've had a similar incident where a coach gave me some verbage.

I said to him "Coach, you need to realise that the players will parrot your example, and that is not in the spirit of the game. Any more of that, and you will leave the touchline" :noyc: His response surprised me - "I'm in charge of health and safety for these players, and therefore cannot be made to leave the touchline" :nono: to which I responded, very quietly - "I think you'll find I'm in charge of health and safety during a match, and if you wish to discuss the matter any further, you will be leaving the touchline, with your players following you. Next in the queue will be a match official abuse form? Now, may we play rugby?":rc:

There was no further response - we played rugby:biggrin: :Looser:

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes

You stop the match and advise both sides that the game will not continue until the coach is behind the 5m barrier.

(Assuming, of course, that there is a 5m barrier...)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
You stop the match and advise both sides that the game will not continue until the coach is behind the 5m barrier.

(Assuming, of course, that there is a 5m barrier...)
The enclosure is not precisely defined. Even if there is a barrier, you may theoretically insist that the coach goes further than this:
The Playing Enclosure is the playing area and a space around it, not less than 5 metres where practicable, which is known as the perimeter area.

If you have an available 50m perimeter, feel free to use it!

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
As above - and NO - don't show a Red Card - that's just meaningless, he isn't a player, you haven't sent him off. You are simply telling him that he must either shut up, or leave the area far enough that he cannot interfere.

He shuts up, fine.

He doesn't then tell him to move away, and tell him that an official abuse form will be submitted.

He doesn't move away - game abandoned.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Agree with everyone
Definitely and abuse form.
He should have been asked to go to the club house
Sweraring player judging your eyesight:norc:
And if the coach wouldn't go abandon the game and inform the society you will never referee a game with him in charge.

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hopefully other members of the society will take the same point of view and all refuse to referee a game with him in charge of a team.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I did explain to one unpleasant coach that 'this will be the only discussion we have about this, move away from the touchline far enough so I can't see you or hear you. Do it now (does this sound like Forrest Gump?) :rolleyes: (end of discussion, I then flounced back to the game muttering as I went, but it worked):cool:

Like this? http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/golden_flounce.jpg

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I suspect he doesn't referee a lot - because he's still a Level 1 (effectively a trainee) like me, so losing his refereeing qualification probably wouldn't hurt him much. If your any good, the Level 1s tend to get to Level 2 pretty quick, so the fact that he's still a Level 1 may speak volumes.

He probably only did his level one to coach ( It was a requirement a while ago) and ref his U16s at home.

His refereeing (technically) may be very good. His attitude clearly is not. Not limited to L1 it must be said.

The loss of his License would hurt as he would lose some authority within his club. That coupled with dragging his club through a Code of Conduct would hit him fairly hard.