U19 scrum numbers (still confused)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Phil E - you came back to the thread - but didn't answer the question!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
why would they sub a sub a flanker for a centre, and dont just say cus they can, as in the real world and not yours of causing an issue for the sake of it:wink: it wouldn't happen.:

it did happen to me - (I didn't think anything of it, and didn't remark on it)

why would they do it?
I didn't ask why, but generally speaking perhaps ...
in adult rugby - when back is YC, it's automatic for a forward to drop back in the line. In youth rugby you have rolling subs, so why not bring that forward off for a bit and bring on a better back. perhaps a better defensive back as you are going to be a man down for the next 10 mins and organised defense is at a premium.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I would not let an U19 team drop a forward voluntarily, on the basis that they are then making the scrums uneven, which is illegal at U19.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would not let an U19 team drop a forward voluntarily, on the basis that they are then making the scrums uneven, which is illegal at U19.

so at the moment the flanker was substututed, you'd stop the game, and talk to the captain and establish that with the substition he still had on the field eight players who were going to pack down in the next scrum?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Nonsense! On that basis, the same illegality that YOU use to stop THEM doing something would also stop YOU from issuing a card to a forward.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Nonsense! On that basis, the same illegality that YOU use to stop THEM doing something would also stop YOU from issuing a card to a forward.

No, because the law specifically allows for that.

Exception: A team must have fewer than eight players in its scrum when the team cannot
field eight suitably trained players in its scrum due to either the team not fielding a
complete team, or a forward player being sent off or temporarily suspended for foul play, or
a forward player leaving the field because of injury.

There is nothing in there that says the exception applies if they voluntarily move a player out of the scrum.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
it did happen to me - (I didn't think anything of it, and didn't remark on it)

why would they do it?
I didn't ask why, but generally speaking perhaps ...
in adult rugby - when back is YC, it's automatic for a forward to drop back in the line. In youth rugby you have rolling subs, so why not bring that forward off for a bit and bring on a better back. perhaps a better defensive back as you are going to be a man down for the next 10 mins and organised defense is at a premium.

well when they made that sub alarm bells should have rung. When changing a player you should ensure it's not going to cause this type of issue:chin:

Potential lesson for all :clap: and a bloody good thread, even if it is hypothetical. When a team makes a sub, ensure they are swaping like for like otr that they can cover the sub if it's a fwd

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
well when they made that sub alarm bells should have rung. When changing a player you should ensure it's not going to cause this type of issue:chin:

Potential lesson for all :clap: and a bloody good thread, even if it is hypothetical. When a team makes a sub, ensure they are swaping like for like otr that they can cover the sub if it's a fwd

well, only if you believe the law requires them to put eight in the scrum.
even then perhaps they could make the sub, and make another one if/when a scrum
arrives.

(but ... if you do think the law requires them to put eight in the scrum, if they can, then why wouldn't that apply after a flanker is YC, if they have other players on he pitch/bench who can play flanker)

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I do, and if they don't then 10.4m comes into play, well it does on my pitch :=

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
well, only if you believe the law requires them to put eight in the scrum.
even then perhaps they could make the sub, and make another one if/when a scrum
arrives.

(but ... if you do think the law requires them to put eight in the scrum, if they can, then why wouldn't that apply after a flanker is YC, if they have other players on he pitch/bench who can play flanker)

There is a big difference between cannot and will not.

If a team is incomplete and it cannot field eight suitably trained players in its scrum, the
scrum formation must be as follows:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Yes

so .... if you YC a flanker, and on the pitch happens to be a wing who regularly also plays flanker - you would insist he moved up to the scrum

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes

No there isn't.

You are not a mind reader, you don't know what they cannot do and what they will not do and the Law does not make you one.

Remember we're always being told the most important part of the job is knowing when not to blow the whistle?

Well, there's absolutely no reason for any of us to get involved in this - a team is down to 14 men, we don't have to get involved in them choosing (or being forced by circumstances) to do, it's just not our problem.

So don't take it on. Don't try to second guess. Leave the decision to them and if eventually the IRB issue a clarification one way or the other, then go with it.

But until then... Not your monkey.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
anyway in real life it's never going to be the case that they cannot put eight in the scrum.