Ulster v Leinster

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel

Luke was busy. Handled the big moments very well to be fair.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Haven't seen the game yet.

Did he give a PT for the high tackle in the corner?

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
No. The try was awarded in the corner as PJ had managed to ground the ball.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
No. The try was awarded in the corner as PJ had managed to ground the ball.
Perhaps the score was never going to be an issue, but in a tight game I think I'd have gone under the posts. Last defender made the neck tackle, and the attacker would have scored in a better position if no-one had taken his head off in the corner.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Perhaps the score was never going to be an issue, but in a tight game I think I'd have gone under the posts. Last defender made the neck tackle, and the attacker would have scored in a better position if no-one had taken his head off in the corner.

Have to agree Dixie.
Is there anything that says you can't give a peno try if one has been scored?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Penalty try is only if try was prevented or would have been scored in better position. Player already diving to corner IMO so correct not to give PT.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Penalty try is only if try was prevented or would have been scored in better position. Player already diving to corner IMO so correct not to give PT.

I'd then argue that PJ would have got it a little closer to the posts fulfilling the "better position" if it were not for an illegal tackle.

However
[LAWS]Penalty Try. If a player would probably have scored a try but for foul play by an opponent, a penalty try is awarded between the goal posts.[/LAWS]
Where are we getting the "would have been scored in a better position" from?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd then argue that PJ would have got it a little closer to the posts fulfilling the "better position" if it were not for an illegal tackle.

However
[LAWS]Penalty Try. If a player would probably have scored a try but for foul play by an opponent, a penalty try is awarded between the goal posts.[/LAWS]
Where are we getting the "would have been scored in a better position" from?

[LAWS]22.17 (b) Foul play by the defending team. The referee awards a penalty try if a try would probably
have been scored but for foul play by the defending team.
The referee awards a penalty try if a try would probably have been scored in a better
position but for foul play by the defending team.
[/LAWS]

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
[LAWS]22.17 (b) Foul play by the defending team. The referee awards a penalty try if a try would probably
have been scored but for foul play by the defending team.
The referee awards a penalty try if a try would probably have been scored in a better
position but for foul play by the defending team.
[/LAWS]

The issue coming from this is that it applies to in-goal. Kearney made the tackle in the field of play.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
where do we get the in-goal bit from?

didds

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
where do we get the in-goal bit from?

didds

leaguerefaus quoted from law 22.17.
[LAWS]22.17 Misconduct or unfair play in in-goal[/LAWS]

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
ta!

This si why I come here - to learn!

So a high tackle 1m out that clotheslines the winger so he lands on his back and in so doing grounds the ball in the corner is a try scored in the corner not a PT under the posts then? Just confirming?

If so in getting clotheslined the winger would actually be better off letting go of the ball ?

cheers

didds

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
From what I can deduce as written, yes.

However, that for me is a big red flag to the spirit of the law. I'm not happy with it

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Can anybody remember a case where a penalty try was awarded on the "better place" option after a try had been scored?

I think it is should be restrictively interpreted.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Can anybody remember a case where a penalty try was awarded on the "better place" option after a try had been scored?

I think it is should be restrictively interpreted.

Yes, only once, many years ago in the old NPC. I can't remember the game, but I think the referee was Colin Hawke.

Ball carrier goes around the diving tackle of the last defender on the goal-line just inside the corner flag, and starts heading toward the posts. He tries to side-step another defender in-goal who gives him the coat-hanger. Ball carrier goes down and grounds the ball as he hits the deck. Without hesitation, the referee goes straight under the posts and YCs the defender.